Possible bison?

Laura Carroll

Pull this guy out of a creek this morning in Frisco, Texas. I think bison - anyone know? Also, does anyone know how to date? Apparently this guy didn't get the memo on how to brush his teeth. Ha!

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

I think have to agree with you guys! Not really seeing a stylid. Bison would have been way cooler! 

The stylids are present, but the teeth of the lower jaw are worn down, as shown in these drawings:

bos teeth.jpgbos_teeth_text.jpg

excerpt from Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists - Elisabeth Schmid; Elsevier, New York, 1972.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm so confused about what this is. I put an arrow pointing to what I thought was a stylid, which made me think bison. Then I found this image (one with the pen) of the stylid on the side of the tooth completely present. So is it possible it is a bison, not a cow and that the pillar of enamel has just worn away?

Then I look at a close up of cow buckers and I think cow. 

ACK.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 2.50.30 PM.png

cow.png

Here are some more pics from a different angle. Is the arrow pointing to an enamel pillar/stylid = bison? Then again - couldn't imagine the teeth being that well preserved so cow? 

This guys is pretty gross - can I soak it in bleach?

IMG_5757-2.JPG

IMG_5756.JPG

IMG_5758.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 3.21.58 PM.png

Bovids, like bison or bos/cow have isolated stylids on the lateral of the cheek teeth. It depends of the wearing condition how worn down they are and how they looks according to that. If you see the isolated stylid as a loop or a circle on the chewing surface of the tooth, that means the wearer was old in his age. I'm leaning toward a bos/cow partial jaw rather than bison, also, the lighter color of the teeth make me to conclude this.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

THANK YOU!!! In honor of finally being confirmed a cow, I will name it Bessy. Should look great next to my steer skull!! I appreciate everyone's help!!!

Archived