Bassano fossil dig

JustPlainPetrified

This was one of two ammonites I found on the hillside along the Bow River south of Bassano. It was quite weathered and fragmented but after some puzzle work and opticon it turned out not too badly. Lots of red highlights with greens mixed in.

DSCN3010.JPG

Absolutely beautiful colors!  But where is the other one?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice work!!! What is the scientific name of those?

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

25 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Absolutely beautiful colors!  But where is the other one?

I have to work on that other one. Quite fragile but likely display the same colours. Not as complete.

Ok thanks! I will be looking forward to seeing it when you are finished!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great colors! Could that be called ammolite?

I believe the thin layer left on this fossil could be considered ammolite but it is much too thin to use as a gemstone. Perfectly preserved and mineralized an ammonite such as mine would have a thick layer of ammolite which could be cut, shaped, polished and mounted in an assortment of jewellery. I can post many such commercial fossil examples if you like.

Grant

16 minutes ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

I can post many such commercial fossil examples if you like.

Grant

No need for that,Grant. I'm quite familiar with ammolite. I was just curious to hear if ammolite of gemstone quality was available at this site since I couldn't quite tell from the photo.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, JustPlainPetrified said:

I believe the thin layer left on this fossil could be considered ammolite but it is much too thin to use as a gemstone. Perfectly preserved and mineralized an ammonite such as mine would have a thick layer of ammolite which could be cut, shaped, polished and mounted in an assortment of jewellery. I can post many such commercial fossil examples if you like.

Grant

Nice find

It is more the  refraction and colours than the thickness. Ammolite used in jewellry is capped. I've never found a jewellery grade chunk.  Calgary has a Rock and Lapidary club I once participated in...some of the members used ammolite in their pieces ( I was never at that level).  I actually prefer a specimen like yours as it is more natural looking than those prepped for sale (mostly to Japanese and Chinese tourists). 

2 hours ago, Canadawest said:

Nice find

It is more the  refraction and colours than the thickness. Ammolite used in jewellry is capped. I've never found a jewellery grade chunk.  Calgary has a Rock and Lapidary club I once participated in...some of the members used ammolite in their pieces ( I was never at that level).  I actually prefer a specimen like yours as it is more natural looking than those prepped for sale (mostly to Japanese and Chinese tourists). 

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I have a couple pieces that are very thick and nice ammolite but similar to you, I haven't done any work with making any of it into jewellery.