Found a miocene fossil at a quarry...

JavierMS

IMG_20170115_170108.jpg

Greetings. I am a newbie inside the world of fossil hunting and I would be very happy if someone could help me to identify this broken fossil I found at a quarry. I am actually living in the Balearic Islands were is possible to find fossils from the devonian to the miocene and the one I found is lying at the lower level of a coast quarry in the island of Menorca. This area of the island was formed during the miocene and is full of bivalve fossils like pleistocene Pecten. The fossil I have found looks like a robuste bone which is about 16 cm (6,3 inch) long and which you can see at the picture I have attached here, thank you very much in advance.

42416079_19158993.jpg

Thank you very much for your help. Yes it is probably a Clypeaster Marginatus like the one you can see in this picture, which is a rare type of Clypeaster... The one I found is just a fragment but I have seen more on the stone surface so I will try to patiently extract them with chisel and hammer. Thank you very much again.

• 1 month later...

Clypeaster edge. If there is one, should be more. Good find! Whole Clypes are really difficult to find. Most of them are broken

Too thick for Scutella but proper to Clypeaster. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived