Paleocarcharodon tooth with no data

britishcanuk

22 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Paleocarcharodon crowns are fairly compressed and do not see it in your specimen.  So I would lean against it being one.

Thank you for your quick answer, I haven't work on this since a long time so it's hard for me to make myself an idea about it, but maybe that you eliminate quick.

I have thought about possible first form of Paleocarcharodon in first impression.

Where have we seen so bushy cusps ? I think it's more compressed than Otodus obliquus. Crown is thin. What is it ?

Did you ever seen something like that ?

4.jpg

3.jpg

@Paleoc This is just an FYI in the event that you are unaware, but the pics don’t display. I know this is many months later, but when pics are posted in the format in this post they come up like this, at least for me on my iPhone 7:EED33EA6-1901-47F4-8CC7-E8FA63F431ED.thumb.png.f25276a20dc19a65069a5c5778b769c7.png

On 3/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, Paleoc said:

Here are some more with unusual or partial serrations (3 on the left).  I have more including laterals but I don't have images of them right now.

As for the ones from Maryland, the Aquia formation where they come from is fairly late in the Paleocene and I have never seen one that was not completely serrate.  They are also usually on the smaller size as this was a nearshore environment.  The last one has some water wear as it came out of the river (unlike the other two).

paleo3_zpsdispbp0l.jpgPaleo6websmall_zpskxxwqjgg.jpgPaleocarcharodon_Mar2011_zpsamjhvzei.jpg

This is why You should post the pictures directly to the forum.

Links go dead.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, Sélacien34 said:

would be interested by any knowledge about this.

I would guess Cretolamna with deformed cusps.

16 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I would guess Cretolamna with deformed cusps.

Hello and thank you for you answer Al Dente. Would you have some elements to add to support this hypothesis ? I would really like to see more clearly about it.

Isn't it too large ? 3,9 cm. Crown and root don't seem to match with cretolamna in my mind. Which Cretolamna could it be ?

13 hours ago, Sélacien34 said:

Hello and thank you for you answer Al Dente. Would you have some elements to add to support this hypothesis ? I would really like to see more clearly about it.

Your tooth has rectangular root similar to some Cretolamna, it also has depressions near the root on the labial side. I'm not sure if Paleocarcharodon has these features. The size might be in the range for C. maroccana.

biau.JPG

On 05/02/2018 at 8:30 PM, Al Dente said:

Your tooth has rectangular root similar to some Cretolamna, it also has depressions near the root on the labial side. I'm not sure if Paleocarcharodon has these features. The size might be in the range for C. maroccana.

biau.JPG

It's an idea, but the root has sharp angles and is not so rectangular as C. maroccana, it's also more protuberal with a marked bump on the lingual root and U shape at the base.

Crown is much higher in proportion for a lateral position and becomes much more narrower from the base to the apex when the crown of C. maroccana makes almost an equilateral triangle, and the depression is stronger at the base of the labial faceI do not see converging characters between those teeth.

It would be closer from Otodus or Palaocarcharodon for me, but I still don't know what it is.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I can find the same cusp design on Pre Palaeocarcharodon. but this tooth does not have the color of the danian stage

Subserratus et Palaeocarcharodon.jpg