Where is a good spot in Gainesville Florida for Megalodon.

Joseph Lambert

I have gone to Gainesville a couple times and I have found small shark teeth and megalodon fragments, but I would love to find a full megalodon tooth for myself. I have 2 megalodon teeth neither one I found and they are not fully complete. I'm asking if anyone can tell me of a good spot to go to. Or maybe even if someone like to meet me somewhere in Gainesville to go hunting. Thank you

Sometimes, the work is it's own reward. :) 

Sometimes, you have to sift a literal ton of sediment, to find a keeper.

I see Hogstown Creek mentioned allot on here.
Walk the creek - look for gravel, fill your sifter, rinse , check sifter, repeat.  

Best to get out there and put in the time.

Relying on the kindness of strangers to put you onto some complete megs is a bit optimistic. :unsure:

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just to temper it with realistic expectations. ;) 

Most of the folks I know who fossil hunt put a ton of time, effort and energy into finding their good sites.

And Honestly, with creeks and rivers, rain and flooding can drastically change the landscape, or, ... creek-scape, if you will. 

Look for the gravel. That's usually where the fossils are. :) 

Good luck. 
Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have fossil hunted Gainesville tons for a few years now and I have only found 1 Meg and it was only 2 1/4". I will give this little bit of advise, tons of time in the creek and tons of gravel through the screen. I will also give you this I found my Meg in Hogtowne creek go in at Alfred A Ring park and walk the creek and look for a good gravel bed. I have also heard stories about some megs being found in Rattlesnake creek, but I have never found anything bigger than 1". 1 More thing luck. lol

Nothing can really substitute for eyes on the ground and time spent looking.  Any real "honey holes" will be very transient as they will be heavily collected by the discoverer, and anyway no-one with any sanity would post directions to such a site on an open-access forum such as this.

Years ago there was a local who posted some amazing finds, but it turned out he was digging massive excavations into the creek banks which are private property.  He complained a lot about property owners running him off, and even boasted about digging at night on private property to avoid the owners.  He is no longer a member of this forum.  Such behavior is likely to get creek access closed, so don't be tempted to try that strategy.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 3:18 PM, Joseph Lambert said:

Alright thank you

If you go the Florida Museum of Natural History on Hull just off 34th Street and go to the gift shop, you will find a guide to the sharks and rays of the Gainesville creeks.  It was published last year.  After you find your meg, you might give yourself the challenge of finding as many of the listed species as you can.  You might even find something to add to the list. 

• I found this Informative 1