First timer to the Peace River- American Fossil Hunt

abach292

Hi all, I have started incorporating fossil hunting into my upcoming travels. I find it a peaceful way to experience the outdoors, and the geographically, many fossil hunting sites are near some quality fishing grounds. So I get the best of both worlds and go home with a light sunburn, great fishing, and a bag full of rocks to memorialize the day outdoors. The link to the adventures, as well as a more "in the field" trip report, is at the end of this text. This post is mostly to highlight my finds, as a first timer to the Peace River, sharing my full haul, and up-close pictures of my finds.

I was in the area for a week, staying with family in Cape Coral, and made the 1 hr 15+ minute drive to the Peace River on 3 separate trips. The first was with a local fossil tour guide, and the other 2 times were solo, based off information from fellow FF members and other maps online. In short on the field report: the water levels were low, the weather was good, and I found a great variety but In my opinion, this is a fantastic haul for a first timer, but I'd love to hear your thoughts as well. Full disclosure, during taking pictures, I did not have the leisure of a sunny or well-lit room so I used some filters and photo-enhancers like sharpening and contrast to highlight some features. Call it cheating but the pics still barely just do it justice.

Photo-Jan-14-2-29-33-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C30

This is the full haul! as spread on my kitchen table on a Saturday afternoon.
Photo-Jan-14-2-36-22-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C22

A bit more organized, and almost an hour of laying it out.
peace river fossils

Turtle shells
Photo-Jan-14-3-05-54-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C22

Tiger Shark
Photo-Jan-16-8-41-30-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C22

my biggest Tiger
tiger-shark.jpg?fit=300%2C259

Hemi
Photo-Jan-16-8-44-11-PM-1.jpg?fit=300%2C

Stingray Mouthplates
Photo-Jan-16-8-37-04-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C22

Stingray Barbs
Photo-Jan-16-8-36-39-PM.jpg?fit=300%2C22

Fish Mouthplates
Photo-Jan-16-8-36-24-PM-1.jpg?fit=247%2C

The Megalodon Teeth, and quite a massive one for the area
Photo-Jan-16-8-38-58-PM.jpg?fit=214%2C30Photo-Jan-16-8-39-30-PM-1.jpg?fit=225%2C

Horse Teeth
Photo-Jan-16-8-34-13-PM-1.jpg?fit=225%2C

Dolphin Jaw bones
Photo-Jan-16-8-41-59-PM-1.jpg?fit=225%2C

Alligator and Crocodile Teeth
Photo-Jan-16-8-43-09-PM-1.jpg?fit=242%2C

A unique "in-situ" tooth

Photo-Jan-16-8-37-30-PM-1.jpg?fit=300%2C

Shells and imprints
Photo-Jan-16-8-36-12-PM-1.jpg?fit=300%2C

Lots and lots of bone fragments, I kept the nicer looking ones
Photo-Jan-16-8-31-15-PM-1.jpg?fit=225%2C

And lots and lots of teeth, Lemon Shark mostly
Photo-Jan-16-8-33-22-PM.jpg?fit=225%2C30

Here is the fun part, these are some of my oddball and unidentified ones. From the top across and down, Tapir tooth, shark vert, ?, stingray dermal, and the furthest one to the right barracuda tooth. Other than that I am lost!
Photo-Jan-16-8-39-56-PM-1.jpg?fit=225%2C

All in all a fantastic time, and amazing excuse to get out of Chicago for January :) I would gladly go again, and hope to see some of you on the water next time!

Photo-Jan-09-11-32-49-AM.jpgPhoto-Jan-09-11-33-08-AM.jpg?fit=226%2C3

The full "in the field" trip report is on the blog I am starting: http://americanfossilhunt.com/2017/01/21/shark-tooth-hunting-peace-river-2017-trip-report/

Nice Haul!

Thanks for sharing.

I suggest that You take better pictures of the ones You do not know identity of, and post in the ID section.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes on shark vert. Under the barracuda tooth are 3 stingray plates ( teeth). Great haul for first time! You should be happy!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow. Pretty impressive haul for just three days. You certainly made the best of your time. Great variety of fauna. Especially love the big meg, but there's lots to be proud of. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

One of the largest tiger shark tooth I have ever seen!!!  :envy:      :drool:      :dinothumb:

Nice finds!!! 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Nice finds!!! I like the fact that your Meg has hole premade so you can make it a cool keychain lol

Hey thanks so much all, yes I certainly made the most of it. All in all about 30 hours on the beautiful river over the course of the week. And yes on that Meg tooth, I was hoping it was a man-made hole made by native Americans, but it looks natural, from a clam digging through it.

And on the colors

12 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Wow!  Interesting colors on fossils from the Peace... Mine are all dark brown, grey, and black.

The day I went to the Peace River proper, the teeth were all very grey and black compared to the tributary creeks. Though I did find some nice light yellows and blues in the main river, but nothing compared to the creeks.

same time next year everyone? I am itching to go back already haha, all you that live down there are so lucky.

• I found this Informative 2

Top right on your odd balls is a drum tooth, I have found a few, a first yesterday, I found the boney plate in which those teeth would of sat. It looks like honey comb.

What a haul you got there.

32 minutes ago, abach292 said:

I am itching to go back already haha, all you that live down there are so lucky.

Kin folk said" Jed, move away from there".:D

Justt a guess but that Meg is likely an artifact as well. Good chance that hole is a native American drilled vs natural. Just a guess but that's where my money would be. Congrats. 

2 hours ago, hokiehunter said:

Justt a guess but that Meg is likely an artifact as well. Good chance that hole is a native American drilled vs natural. Just a guess but that's where my money would be. Congrats. 

I was thinking the same thing, but is it not likely they would of drilled two holes to lash it to a handle? I wonder what a single hole would be used for?

24 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

I was thinking the same thing, but is it not likely they would of drilled two holes to lash it to a handle? I wonder what a single hole would be used for?

See this thread for a doubled drilled Meg that has a COA as an Artifact. Actual artifacts have cone-shaped holes. Bone worms , when they drill a hole, it is drilled at the same diameter. I think you have an artifact,

IMG_1783A.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Those are some beautiful finds you've got there Andrew:) congrats!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

12 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

, when they drill a hole, it is drilled at the same diameter. I think you have an artifact,

Also the hole (s) are to well centered for a coincidence.

I agree with @abach292's  meg being an artifact.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Would be interesting to see if Andrew can take a closer photo of the suspicious hole in the large meg that he found. That's exactly where my mind when when I first saw the photo. It seems to have tweaked the search image of others as well. I don't find boring mollusk holes in megs as much as I find them in dugong ribs. If I were at home at the moment, I could photograph one rib fragment that looks like Swiss cheese with all the borings. A well lit photo (probably outdoors) showing both sides of the suspect hole as close as can be focused would likely be enough to decisively lay this matter to rest--one way or another.

Great overall haul as others have said. The colors from the tributary creeks make me think I need to schedule a trip with your guide to add some color to my shark tooth collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi guys, wow interesting development, and i did not know bone worms bore symmetrical holes, this hole is definately cone shaped, though is still suspect because this specimen is pockmarked with other clear worm or clam holes. some photos are below, i got it at an angle too. The big hole on the back, actually opens up a bit more than the entrance actually is, not much, but noticeable, almost like a little chamber inside, but could have been from additional wear from the river.

I will have to do more research online, that is a great meg artifact Shellseeker posted, and looks much more practical than a single hole in the middle. But yes the one i have is suspiciously well-centered. We took note of it when it was found but brushed it off. To note too, this was not found in the river bed, but rather halfway protruding from dirt of the bank, about 3 ft above the water of a ~6 ft bare ridge.

and Ken i hope you do the Fossil Funatics tour, and tell Patrick I say hello, yes fantastic colors on the whole creek, orange/yellows that look like a jack o lantern and lots of blue lightning patterns. The peace was fun but i got spoiled by the bone valley colors i was finding on the trip!

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

another shot of the front. Sorry no sunlight photos. used flash and a bright lamp. Havent seen the sun in chicago in months :P 

Snapseed.png

1 hour ago, abach292 said:

Havent seen the sun in chicago in months :P 

My EXACT reason for moving out of the mid-hudson river valley in the spring of 1988 to Delray Beach. I just wanted to see the sun Smiley.jpeg  !!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

No sun here in South Florida today either. Just back from St. Kitts where I left under pouring rain there too.

From the close-up images I can see your point of the other boring holes on the root and even part of the blade. Despite the coincidental placement of this through hole, I do believe it was invertebrate made and not by the hand of man. Still a way cool meg--I've never pulled a meg from its in situ place along a river/creek bed so you definitely had a heaping helping of beginner's luck on finding that. You may find bigger and better megs over time but you'll always remember your first time fossil hunting in South Florida whenever you see that meg in your collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I'd have to agree that it is not an artifact. Still a pretty big meg from the Peace River with a good story attached.

6 hours ago, digit said:

No sun here in South Florida today either. Just back from St. Kitts where I left under pouring rain there too.

From the close-up images I can see your point of the other boring holes on the root and even part of the blade. Despite the coincidental placement of this through hole, I do believe it was invertebrate made and not by the hand of man. Still a way cool meg--I've never pulled a meg from its in situ place along a river/creek bed so you definitely had a heaping helping of beginner's luck on finding that. You may find bigger and better megs over time but you'll always remember your first time fossil hunting in South Florida whenever you see that meg in your collection.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, calhounensis said:

I'd have to agree that it is not an artifact. Still a pretty big meg from the Peace River with a good story attached.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, Shellseeker said:

My EXACT reason for moving out of the mid-hudson river valley in the spring of 1988 to Delray Beach. I just wanted to see the sun Smiley.jpeg  !!!!

On 1/27/2017 at 9:50 PM, ynot said:

Also the hole (s) are to well centered for a coincidence.

I agree with @abach292's  meg being an artifact.

Tony

Thanks all for the dialog and feedback, I'm glad the photos did some justice in showing more detail (even if it did help only to tear away its 'artifact' status LOL). Ken is right, still a unique tooth and possibly my favorite find, with many nice features, the color, hole, serrations, even the wear is sort of unique. It held it's own for millions of years, but is still a fragile and subject to peel and clam holes