Opened this up... little bones ?

Crann

Hi, was out a few weeks back and opened this up, looked different so brought it home, put it on nhm who thought was a crushed bivalve or something but I think looks a lil boney to me, has a fish like shape but I'm not jumping to conclusions, any ideas folks ? Thanks.

20170126_211012.jpg

Frustrating finding these little strange jigsaw puzzles and not being able to put them back together. But yea creepy legs possibly... ha

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Not sure what "creepy legs" are, but this looks crabby (as in, lobster or crab).

Don

I agree, this fossil is a crab. The carapace must be still inside the rock.

Do you know the age, or the formation?

Edited by Ramon

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

2 minutes ago, Crann said:

How the hell can I expose this ? Acid ? 

I have heard that vinager works on chalk. But the rock your fossil is in does not look like chalk. Also you can prepare it. But I don't have much experience preparing fossils.

Someone else might know how.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

It is!!! Once you mess up, You have to use superglue!!!

16 minutes ago, Ramon said:

I agree, this fossil is a crab. The carapace must be still inside the rock.

Do you know the age, or the formation?

Jurrasic coast in UK, from Alum shale, about 180 million years old around there.

So the setting is in the ocean so insect or plant material is out!!!

If it's chalk or limestone/limey shale maybe try using diluted vinegar (vinegar with some water mixed in) on a sample piece of junk fossil and see what happens. If the fossil stays intact then you should be good, but I'd still say exercise extreme caution.

oooohhh... nice find. It looks like a lobster or shrimp to me.  Crabs had not evolved yet in the Jurassic, and I know there are lobsters known from the British Jurassic.  Do NOT use acid on this... I am afriad the chitin (shell) will be the first thing to go away.  This takes serious expert prep work under a powerful binocular microscope.  Might be best left as is.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

oooohhh... nice find. It looks like a lobster or shrimp to me.  Crabs had not evolved yet in the Jurassic, and I know there are lobsters known from the British Jurassic.  Do NOT use acid on this... I am afriad the chitin (shell) will be the first thing to go away.  This takes serious expert prep work under a powerful binocular microscope.  Might be best left as is.  

Wonder if it's a rare find in those parts, think would be worth finding someone to have a go at revealing it ? I have two other strange finds I will post up later for ID that nhm advised was crushed bivalve. Thanks.

Definitely lobster/shrimp bits - disaggregated bits are not rare around there. Careful prepping with a pen is the best way. Air abrading destroys them.

Tarquin