Hunting spots

AlphaX9

Hey there everyone. It's been awhile since I've been here. I was caught up with school and work so I was unable to make my daily visits.

i hope all of you guys had a great new year. 

So with that out of the way, I need you guys to point me to the right direction.

since Connecticut isn't the ideal spot to go fossil hunting in, I heard New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey 3 great states for fossil hunting.

if any of you guys know of any great fossil hunting spots, can you tell me what they are and possibly their addresses?

thank you and have a good one.

You don't need us to help you with any of those three states. There is plenty of good info available for locations in each.  Start with the state geological surveys for each.  You will learn so much more if you do this homework yourself.  But as a way to get the ball rolling: For New York look up Middle Devonian Hamilton Group locations; for Pennsylvania look up Carboniferous locations in Carbon County; and for New Jersey look up Cretaceous streams of Monmouth County.  From there you just need to decide how far you are willing to drive.

And consider joining the New York Paleontological Society. Take the train into Manhattan for the next meeting and learn about their field trips. I used to help run them years ago and they have some great sites they visit every year and you will learn tons...

And eventually you may get to know the rare sites in your own state.

Always stop at road cuts. I have found many fossils in road cuts here in Texas. 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

1 hour ago, Ramon said:

Always stop at road cuts. I have found many fossils in road cuts here in Texas. 

Not all States allow stopping at road cuts.  Check laws for your local state to find out if it's legal. :unsure:  I know you need a permit from the D.O.T. of CT. to search road cuts in Connecticut. 

Sites like Big Brook and Ramanessin Brook in New Jersey,  Schoharie, Little Falls, and Deep Springs Road  in New York State are well publicized, and can be found by doing a simple Google search for the place names. It is always best to start off going to sites that are known to be productive. Especially if you have to drive a distance to get there.

Also searches like "Fossil Hunting in New York State" will give you plenty of results. 

The amount of information concerning fossil sites on the web is extraordinary.

It's there, if you know how to effectively use Google. ;) 

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim!!! I'm going to research about the laws in Texas.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

3 minutes ago, Ramon said:

Thanks Tim!!! I'm going to research about the laws in Texas.

;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me