Bone valley find help on ID

Dirtdog

Perhaps a piece of turtle shell or scute of some kind? :unsure: 

Hopefully some of the locals will chime in. 

@Harry Pristis @Sacha @Shellseeker

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely a piece of bone.

As @Fossildude19 said, it could be a scute or shell piece. Turtle is possible.

It kinda makes me think of a piece of skull of some vertebrate animal.

Yet I'm definitely not one of the locals you are waiting for, I'm from the other side of the ocean. :P

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Perhaps a piece of turtle shell or scute of some kind? :unsure: 

Hopefully some of the locals will chime in. 

@Harry Pristis @Sacha @Shellseeker

Similar to many Bone Valley fossil finds, this a a combo of a large amount of concretion mixed with an attached or embedded fossil. I focus on  the up-welling of the fossil portion, and briefly considered gator scute but it lacks the pock marks.

I think it may be the edge of a turtle shell with the up-welling being the edge of the shell. I seem to see groves in the shell corresponding some what with the white lines. If there are grove lines in the shell , that would augment the reasons to consider this turtle.. plus, to the concentration of numerous fossil hunters, turtle and dugong dominate the % of fossils in Bone Valley and the Peace River.

Most likely turtle but with a low degree of confidence. Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like a turtle/tortoise neural plate.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

To me, the fossil does not look thick but actually quite thin. The fossil portion is really only the dark part and the edge of that looks to be very thin indeed--too thin to be useful as a turtle shell. The thicker grainy part of this specimen is attached matrix and has no bearing on the fossil itself. Definitely bone but the thinness seems to preclude anything like turtle/tortoise shell. I'm thinking possibly a flat thin piece of bone which may not be distinctive enough to assign an ID (either species or location). That is, unless it is familiar to someone. My thoughts would be to something like scapula or part of a skull--but what do I know?

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived