Jakuzi

Hi y'all,

Worked a fatty day in an area that got me about halfway to the Sulphur.  Got me about a half day on the river.  I wanted shark teeth so I went to a bridge that has gotten me good results before.  When I reached the bottom of the bridge I saw no footprints(it was muddy at the bottom) so I had high expectations.  Considering previous finds I thought with the river rise a few weeks ago I'd be finding at least a bazillion shark teeth.  It didn't work out like that.  A lot of the gravel bars had mud or a dusting of silt over the gravel that was there.  Despite this I found some good stuff.  I'll post some close ups of things for ID.  Here's the haul.  Including a perfect fish tooth and jaw with a few teeth.  The jaw piece is my first.  Didn't find a bazillion shark teeth but managed to find some new stuff and still make some money at work. Great Friday.

IMG_4797.JPG

Just now, ynot said:

That is the type! (But a different species.)

Tony

Awesome!   It's funny I was just trying to get some distance from the bridge so I wasn't really searching yet and saw this guy chilling on the gravel and he was so perfect.  Every bit of it is detailed.  Thanks for the ID.

1 minute ago, Jakuzi said:

Awesome!   It's funny I was just trying to get some distance from the bridge so I wasn't really searching yet and saw this guy chilling on the gravel and he was so perfect.  Every bit of it is detailed.  Thanks for the ID.

I love it when they jump out and yell "here I am - Pick Me up!!".

The second one is either bony fish or cartilaginous fish vert.

Sorry I can not help with the others.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

What is that?!?  Is it just a rock/mineral or a fossil?

20170127_234244.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

13 minutes ago, Ramon said:

What is that?!?  Is it just a rock/mineral or a fossil?

20170127_234244.jpg

I believe it is tooth enamel.  Maybe mammoth.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice finds !

Congrats :wub:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Nice finds! The sawfish rostrum is pretty decent size compared to what I usually see. I also like the cretolamna, and squalicorax.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

9 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Fish Tooth. ID?

IMG_4809.JPG

Ischyriza mira sawfish. They are rare to find not broken. Nice find.

7 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

I believe it is tooth enamel.  Maybe mammoth.

Mammoth tooth enamel nice. I tend to find more Mastodon tooth enamel than Mammoth. 

Hello Jakuzi,

Looks like another productive day on the NSR :) The middle, top row specimen is indeed a vert (Xiphactinus - bony fish) that's been split. These were absolutely enormous fish. Fish bone has more of a platy, or layered look than other types of bone (reptile or mammal). FYI on the jaw, the dark speck in the center of the light colored circular area toward the top center on your last picture is the tip of the replacement tooth for the one on the right.

Your bison bone is actually an astragalus (ankle bone) from the hind leg.  Probably washed out of a Pleistocene layer near the top of the riverbank.  I have found bison skeletal remains in old pond and channel fills there.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

4 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Mammoth tooth enamel nice. I tend to find more Mastodon tooth enamel than Mammoth. 

It's been the opposite for me.  I have yet to find any Mastodon.

In my experience, mammoths are more common the farther north and west in Texas that you go.  I've found both mammoth and mastodon enamel fragments in the Sulphur River.  Mastodon remains are relatively infrequent in the Trinity River sands and gravels while mammoth remains are quite common.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Love the sawfish tooth!  They are they hard to find at the NSR.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!