Partial Mammoth Tooth, Galveston Bay Dredge Spoils

darrow

We had a really low tide Thursday with the cold front came through so before work I made a quick trip to check a favorite spot and picked up another partial tooth.  The 5th one I've found in perhaps 15 visits to the same 100 yards of shoreline.

Darrow

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That is awesome. I live 2 miles from the peace river. I hunt obsessively and have only found many fragments, I refuse to quit though. Awesome find.

That's a pretty good Texas example, better than my last, which was out of context and caught me by surprise.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow!!! I did not know that mammoth fossils could be found here in the Galveston Bay area.  :blink:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Nice tooth, congrats! You may want to consider diving where they're doing the dredging at. Never been to Texas, but on this side of the Gulf we get pretty good visibility in the bays at times. 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

3 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice tooth, congrats! You may want to consider diving where they're doing the dredging at. Never been to Texas, but on this side of the Gulf we get pretty good visibility in the bays at times. 

I am NAUI certified but the currents in the area are treacherous and more often than not the water looks like a yellowish chocolate milk because of the sediments and clay.  A commercial diver said sunlight rarely penetrates more than the first 10 feet.  The fossiliferous layer is around 20 or 30 feet below the bay floor.  From the condition of the fossils, its obvious they were pretty much undisturbed some probably complete articulated specimens before the dredge cutter head hit them chopping them to pieces.  I often think what it would be like to drop a large caisson in the channel.

Darrow

Sounds a lot like black water diving on the east coast. If the payout is worth the effort, it could be an interesting endeavour. If you don't have the training and you are content picking up the fossils on dry land, I wouldn't recommend it. 20-30ft in limited/zero vis. isn't too bad. It is not a fun environment if you're in the wrong mindset or lack training and experience.

Yet another fine example of Texas Proboscidea.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

20 hours ago, lcordova said:

Nice tooth! Congrats.... 

Ramon, Darrow, are you members of HGMS?

No, but looking forward to join it!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, lcordova said:

Nice tooth! Congrats.... 

Ramon, Darrow, are you members of HGMS?

I am not.