And Partial Mammoth Tooth #6!

darrow

Very cool! if it was not cold and wet here, I would be out in the peace river looking myself. Great finds:fistbump:

49 minutes ago, darrow said:

...about 5min ago

IMG_1341.JPG

How will you get the barnacles off ? Is it true a simple soak in vinegar will do?

14 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

How will you get the barnacles off ? Is it true a simple soak in vinegar will do?

What I use is an awl or dental pick to gently pry off them.  I don't know about vinegar, but will it get into the pores and make is stink?

Just now, History Hunter02 said:

What I use is an awl or dental pick to gently pry off them.  I don't know about vinegar, but will it get into the pores and make is stink?

I read on a fossil shark teeth site(can't remember) That an overnight soak in vinegar should do the trick and won't hurt the fossil. Disclaimer, I have never tried. Maybe some other members know more about this?

As for the stink? I imagine it would dissipate quickly. Wait...you smell your fossils? :)

Just now, Peace river rat said:

I read on a fossil shark teeth site(can't remember) That an overnight soak in vinegar should do the trick and won't hurt the fossil. Disclaimer, I have never tried. Maybe some other members know more about this?

As for the stink? I imagine it would dissipate quickly. Wait...you smell your fossils? :)

Maby... :P

Barnacles come off with an overnight soak in vinegar.  After that I'll soak it goes into a series of freshwater baths to leach all the salt out.  I replace the water every couple days until the salinity stabilizes around 250ppm. 

No smell after that. 

The knife is an old schrade I bought in high school about 30 years ago.  Discovered it recently in the bottom of my toolbox.  

OK speaking of smelly, I had went to the beach one day and found a couple of dinky teeth, and a few other beachcomber finds. I got home and rinsed everything off. I went outside for a while and when I came back in and there was this funky smell. So yep, you guessed it! I went over and sniffed my shark teeth. I thought oh lordy, those things stink! Alas, it was my other finds! But yes, I did sniff my fossils! Lol!

Archived