Peace river rat

I found a remarkably well preserved bison vert in the peace river. At first I thought it was a modern bone before a positive ID. It was a stumper.

Thing is, it is pretty light and did not seem to be a fossil.

Question is, when did bison last roam Fl. Thanks for any input.  Sorry for the other bones in pic.

0128171728.jpg

0128171727.jpg

39 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

If it is bovid, it's more likely to be from a cow.

Do modern cattle have a vertical process 8 inches tall? I really don't know?

Apparently, yes. :)  

9-real-cow-vertebrae-thoracic-bone-weste

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The dorsal spine is 8 inches long from the top side of vert, seems a bit long for a bovine. I went on google but could find no info on max dorsal spine length. Thanks for the pic Fossildude19.

The dorsal spines are pretty massive in many large mammals such as bovids, deers, rhinos and such. On the neck and lower back the dorsal spines are relatively short. But between the shoulders they are massive due to the muscsle attachments for the neck.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

19 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Do modern cattle have a vertical process 8 inches tall? I really don't know?

I don't know exactly how high the spinous processes extend in Brahma bulls, but they have a huge hump over the neck and shoulder area.  But I'm no expert...just someone who has taken in the sights while meandering the Great State of Texas...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

22 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I don't know exactly how high the spinous processes extend in Brahma bulls, but they have a huge hump over the neck and shoulder area.  But I'm no expert...just someone who has taken in the sights while meandering the Great State of Texas...

These post have been interesting and enlightening, now its off for a google about brahma cattle, I suspect it fat, be interesting to find out !

Archived