Anything worth a closer look?

venefica

Hello all,

I've got boxes and boxes of rocks and fossil-ish bits and pieces that have been collected almost exclusively from an area of NE Tennessee. This particular spot is unique in that there have been massive excavtions done decades ago in the course of the TVA's projects, revealing lots of fascinating things that would otherwise have been stuck, forever, beneath tons of dirt. Flowing water hasn't hurt, either, and most of these items are in the exact state in which they were found.

There are many more, some much more compelling and interesting than these, but in the interest of time and space, I'm trying to just be methodical at this point. That said, if anything appears to be worth a closer look, please say so, and I will take more detailed shots, describe further, etc, and I will continue to photograph the rest in the meantime. 

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance in identifying or ruling out "just rocks", etc! IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0806.JPG

I have to agree - these all look like rocks to me. :unsure: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

More rocks, I'm afraid. :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The top item in picture 9 -- I would like to see some better pictures from all sides. I think it may be a bone fragment.

All the other items look like rocks.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the additional pictures. Sorry but it is not a bone but a piece of gneiss.

Picture 10 does show some fossils though. Could use better pictures of all of those items.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

some of this last group are fossils. The others are rocks. The area you are collecting in is right about where the crystaline rocks stop and the sedimentary rocks start. Interesting collection!

I'm afraid that my iphone camera leaves quite a bit of resolution to be desired; quite isucks, honestly. 

Fortunately, there is hope in the forms of my roommate's Nikon and Canon...I will pester him for the use of one when he returns home today. Will post better shots of the hopefuls ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far! Btw, does it seem possible that the strange sort of bone-like chunk of gneiss could be some sort of artifact? The area had extensive native activity, and it seems a peculiar shape for a natural object, no? It wasn't found in rapid creek water- most of these werent- it was stuck high up in a bank, with the tip poked out, so I'd doubt it was shaped by water...

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

These last pics look like a mineral formation. Better pis would help. Get to pestering that roommate!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived