More Pennsylvanian age flora

Rockaholic

This is Pennsylvanian age Mazon Creek type material found in Indiana.I have a lot of raw material that has been left outside soaking in water to freeze this winter.I've recently sorted through a lot of this material after Indiana's first extended freezing temperatures.These are some of the pieces that have questionable ID’s.

1.Segment of cone bract?

1 - Copy.JPG

2.Seed or base of a Cyperites leaf or some form of bract?

5 - Copy.JPG6 - Copy.JPG7 - Copy.JPG

3.I’ve been finding these small pieces of plant material with finger like projections.Not sure if these are just shredded plant material or something else?

11 - Copy.JPG12 - Copy.JPG13.JPG

4.Seed?Not sure if there are any distinguishing features that would warrant an ID other than Carpolithus sp.

18 - Copy.JPG

5.Fern leaf curled up? But what are the spots?

23 - Copy.JPG

I wish I had time to share some of the more common finds from this round of splits.Some of the rocks that I find split in multiple planes.Here’s an example of a rock that has a Cyclopteris,a Pecopteris and a Macroneuroptis.The Pecopteris and the Macroneuroptis are at right angles to each other.Sorry about the poor photo quality.

28 - Copy.JPG

I found something similar to #3, the fingerlike projections from my Mazon Creek nodule stash.  I posted a few weeks ago and it was ID'd by RCFossils as 

"I think the plant is immature foliage. I would call it Asterophyllites."

I think it looks similar to yours.

Here's my specimen:

0122171231.jpg0122171231a.jpg0122171231b.jpg0122171232.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, CBOB said:

I found something similar to #3, the fingerlike projections from my Mazon Creek nodule stash.  I posted a few weeks ago and it was ID'd by RCFossils as 

"I think the plant is immature foliage. I would call it Asterophyllites."

I think it looks similar to yours.

Here's my specimen:

0122171231.jpg0122171231a.jpg0122171231b.jpg0122171232.jpg

Thanks.You jarred my memory.I have a photo in my collection that is similiar to yours that I labeled as Lepidostrobus.Lepidostrobus.JPG

Here's another cone segment that I've labeled as strobilus.

sphenopsid cone 3 or strobilus.JPG

If this strobilus segment were folded in half then it might look like the photos in #3

Everything seems right.

No. 3 looks like plant material to me (I'm not good with Pennsylvanian plants, I really only know Mississippian ones), maybe Annularia?

Lepidostrobus looks good on that specimen.

Nice finds, No. 2 looks like it could be a Lepidostrobophyllum sp. and No. 3 looks a Sphenophyllum sp. such as S. cuneifolium.

Regards

On 1/30/2017 at 9:49 PM, EMP said:

Everything seems right.

No. 3 looks like plant material to me (I'm not good with Pennsylvanian plants, I really only know Mississippian ones), maybe Annularia?

Lepidostrobus looks good on that specimen.

On 1/31/2017 at 0:55 PM, Archie said:

Nice finds, No. 2 looks like it could be a Lepidostrobophyllum sp. and No. 3 looks a Sphenophyllum sp. such as S. cuneifolium.

Regards

Thanks for your replies.I feel confident tagging a couple of these photos with ID's now.