RJB

I acquired some lobster concretions while in Quartzite and was asked to show the prep process, so here goes.  I picked out what I thought was the best 3 and tossed the others aside.  This is #2.  Not a lot of 'glue up' on this one.  This one is hollow so whats going to happen is going to be quite interesting to say the least.  Hollow fossils can be a real pain in the you know what and a real challenge!!!    I already put in a ton of glue in what hollow area that was exposed in the break but what other hollow area's are yet to be seen.  All I can say is,,, "wish me luck please".  

RB

#2A.JPG

Yep, this one is already giving me problems.    I was happily removing rock when a cracks appeared.  I carefully removed the chunks of rock hoping that it would come 'off' the lobster and take any with it.  Nope!  You can see how this interior is chockablock full of crystal.  So, I glued what pieces I could back on and went back to rock removal.  The tip of my tool sunk into a gigantic hole!!!  Nothing but a huge cave inside parts of this lobster.  So, tons of glue and now on hold for a couple of days.

RB 

#2B.JPG

#2C.JPG

Wow!  When I have to prep fossils with a void such as this, I usually take my time adding copious amounts of extremely thin glue to fill the void.  Of course, this sounds like the exact same process you are employing. Great minds… 

Great minds.  Ha!!  Good one.  At least you and I think so.  :)      The problem with a hollow lobster is it has so many 'compartments', and who knows what parts are hollow and what parts aren't?  Oh well, as long as it turns out ok in the end I don't mind the extra time and effort.  A good lobster is very very very hard to come by!!! 

RB

Ok, did some more work on this hollow thing.  Took off the rock that I glued back onto the tail end.  Came our purty good but I can now see that the big right claw has a major problem!  Dang!  Little left claw is coming out perty good?  Still lots of work to do. 

RB

#2D.JPG

Thanks Rick.  Tail was a bit hollow too.  Got me two little areas to fill in and fix, but very hard to see in the photo.

RB

4 more hours into this lobster #2.  Lots and lots of problems but I can see that it has a 'proboscis'.  The claws are not very well preserved but at least they are there.  All in all, its coming along perty good.  7 hollow cave ins now.  Lots to fix.

RB

#2E.JPG

I love watching the progress on these amazing work. Look back just a few pics and looks like just a rock! Quite the talent you have.

Very cool Ron.  It looks like the head is coming out quite nice.  Waiting to see what you actually get after working out the claws.  Nice

Alrighty then, done quite a bit of work smoothing out some rock around this critter.  Starting to look like something now.  Got about 4 or 5 more hours in fixing/repair and doing some 'face' work, but should be a decent lobster once complete.   Not the best lobster but far from the worst!   here is an update photo.

RB

#2H.JPG

Archived