Spiky Brachiopod

tstark

Stunning! :wub: 

Could we see a view from directly above the brachiopod, and from behind? 

Did your friend say where in Morocco it came from?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice fossil :), yes a productid brachiopod, genus?, with the spines, the spines allowed this group of Brachiopods to live on a muddy substrate.

tstark ...

At first glance I thought this brach was another artistic creation from Morocco (all those large beautiful perfect spines).

I'm not an expert on all fossils from Morocco, however, I've never seen similar specimens at Tucson or on the Net.

I agree it is strange in the sense I've never seen similar specimens with similar preparation.

This fossil brings a lot of questions to mind.

It would be very interesting to hear what your friend knows about this fossil including...

Your friends identification.

Where it was collected?

Who prepared it?

Any other similar specimens on the market and who's offering them for sale or study?

Question for the membership ...

Anyone here ever seen a similar spiny specimen from Morocco with this quality of preparation?

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

That is one remarkable productid! How on earth was it prepped, is it silicified? As Indy has asked..more information please if possible.

4 hours ago, Indy said:

tstark ...

At first glance I thought this brach was another artistic creation from Morocco (all those large beautiful perfect spines).

I'm not an expert on all fossils from Morocco, however, I've never seen similar specimens at Tucson or on the Net.

I agree it is strange in the sense I've never seen similar specimens with similar preparation.

This fossil brings a lot of questions to mind.

It would be very interesting to hear what your friend knows about this fossil including...

Your friends identification.

Where it was collected?

Who prepared it?

Any other similar specimens on the market and who's offering them for sale or study?

Question for the membership ...

Anyone here ever seen a similar spiny specimen from Morocco with this quality of preparation?

I was given one similiar years ago from the Word formation in the Glass Mountain area of Texas - Brewster City (Permian-Guadalupean)

The spines are not quite as prolific or profound as the one pictured here.

I think mine is named: Paucispinifer auriculata

It only has three short spines remaining.

I wondered about artistic

creation as well.

% creation vs true spine.

Mine was prepped with an acid.

That is the only means of having the spines survive the cleaning process that I am aware of.

Jess B.

So many questions I will try my best to answer them all.  I haven't seen anything as tuson either that looks remotely close, but i'll keep looking.  I don't know the region of morocco it come nor the person who prepped it.  I had a sneaky feeling that it was too nice to be real sort of thing.  

-1-2.jpg

-1.jpg

-2-2.jpg

-2.jpg

-3-2.jpg

-3.jpg

-4.jpg

-5.jpg

That's quite the specimen.  I've never seen a productid with spikes like that from Morroco before. 

Here are a few Permian ones I will etched out of matrix using Hydrochloric acid. Matrix collected in Texas back in the late 70's. Small older photos so not the best.

I had to haul out a block and then was taught the acid regimen.  Fun, but was it ever smelly.  

The specimens are light weight but suprisingly strong.  I also have a variety of bryozoa and corals from the same block.

IMG_1058.PNG

IMG_1061.PNG

IMG_1066.PNG

IMG_1068.PNG

7 hours ago, Canadawest said:

That's quite the specimen.  I've never seen a productid with spikes like that from Morroco before. 

Here are a few Permian ones I will etched out of matrix using Hydrochloric acid. Matrix collected in Texas back in the late 70's. Small older photos so not the best.

I had to haul out a block and then was taught the acid regimen.  Fun, but was it ever smelly.  

The specimens are light weight but suprisingly strong.  I also have a variety of bryozoa and corals from the same block.

IMG_1058.PNG

IMG_1061.PNG

IMG_1066.PNG

IMG_1068.PNG

Thank you for the pic, these are wonderful. I was not absolutely sure of the name of my specimen but you nailed it down. I would like to have more of these but the friend I received it from pass on many years ago.

The Morroco specimen is an amazing example of prep and restoration.

Jess B.,

Archived