Is This A Fish?

MartianColony

Let me start by saying that I am in no way a professional fossil hunter, nor do I have any kind of training or education of the matter. That being said I like to collect rocks and fossils that I find on the ground. My question is the following: Is this a fossil, and if so what is it? I see what looks to me like a head, and that head looks something like a fish. I found it walking around my neighborhood here in Albuquerque, we have river rock along some walkways. As for the size, I can cover up the black part with an American quarter; so that's 0.955 in. or 24.25 mm. Sorry if the picture quality is bad, I took it on my phone. Any ideas?

Also I'm new to this forum, I joined today because I have some rocks I suspect to be fossils that I was looking to share. Thank you to all who choose to comment.

20170131_135512.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, ... but it's not a fish.

I think you have a piece of very coarse grained sandstone, with mineral staining in it. 

I see no scales evident, no bones, no true fish shape to the colored area. 

We look forward to helping you identify your items. :) 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No worries, bad news is a learning opportunity :D, like I said I'm new at this.

The part that looked to me like a fish is the upper right part of the stain, it appears to look like a head and have an eye hole. The rest of it does look like just a random stain as you said. It's probably just my untrained brain finding patterns that aren't really there. :P

I'll be posting other suspected fossils today. Thanks!