Auction Prep

Ptychodus04

• 2 weeks later...

The Notogoneus has returned from it's Texas sojourn with @Ptychodus04, Kris. He did a wonderful job with the piece, as detailed in the entries above. She's a beauty with some excellent preservation. Unfortunately, that does not include her head. In spite of this minor cosmetic disappointment, I think she's a wonderful piece. Kris also crafted two metal display stands, one for the Noto and an additional one for a Diplomystus, prepped by snolly long ago. The Diplo had been stored away. Previously it was knocked from a plexi stand by a vacuuming housekeeper. The slab broke into three large pieces. It was nicely repaired, but never went back on display. Now it has been reborn as a double display with the Noto.

Of course nothing is every easy. Kris' prep report revealed the prudent step of backing the Noto slab with plywood. I reasoned that the Diplo would benefit from the same treatment, especially given its tragic past. I secured a suitable piece of scrap plywood from my garage and placed the slab to trace the dimensions. RATS!!! I had forgotten after all this time that the Diplo slab was cupped. It would not rest flat against the backing piece. Here is a fish-down shot of the major "unflatness." Nope, it's not an artifact of the break and repair. It was always concave.

DSCN1823ac.thumb.jpg.facfae84758f1dd5ed2c4d11aa1b39f0.jpg

snolly's facile brain revved-up to find a solution. Ahhhh, some viscous adhesive that will fill the void, that's it. A review of stickem offered by the local big box home store provided several options, but they didn't seem just right. Instead clever snolly abandoned that technique and embraced another. Fiberglass was applied to the reverse of the damaged slab. A "kit" was readily available from an auto supply purveyor. Along with the needed resin and hardener it included three square feet of fiberglass cloth. This proved to be about the ideal size to cover the reverse of the plate and to triple reinforce the area over the old breaks. The only drawback I can see was price. The kit was about $21. That's certainly a little more than the cost of the scrap plywood I already had. However, I must say that slab now looks as long term stable as one could hope. Here are a couple shots of the slabs on display in the sun room of Palatial snolly Manor.

DSCN1826ac.thumb.jpg.2c8b003bad10b0719fe619f691aab626.jpg

DSCN1832ac.thumb.jpg.0315bed602fb65a65d3a9bf2295c821a.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looking good, Snolly. Gee, you sure are a smart fella!

LOL, ole snolly does pretty well...when he doesn't outsmart himself. Of course with age comes Wisdom. The older I get the more I realize what I don't know.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks FANTASTIC!

so glad you could finally get your Noto and Diplo on display!

They look right at home!

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2017 at 5:54 AM, snolly50 said:

Notogoneus Fun Facts

The Lost World of Fossil Lake, Snapshots from Deep Time, Lance Grande, The University of Chicago Press, 2013 

Grande's informative and wonderfully illustrated text explores the flora and fauna of the Fossil Butte Member (FBM) of the Green River Formation. I believe it to be a "must have" for folks interested in Green River fossils. I was fortunate to purchase a deaccessioned copy from a library collection for very few $. Check online with that big book seller.

The lovely lady being prepped by Kris is the extinct Notogoneus osculus. This is the only member of the family, Gonorynchidae represented in the FBM. Living members of this family are extant in the tropical marine regions of the Indo-Pacific. These are salt water dwellers unlike the fossil, fresh water Notogoneus being prepped. The modern fish are commonly known variously as "beaked sandfish, beaked salmon, mouse fish, and sand fish or eel." These animals are nocturnal and burrow into the sand during daylight hours. They feed on bottom-dwelling invertebrates. The fossil Notogoneus also displays a small, toothless, ventrally located mouth. This suggests similar dining habits.

The origin of the current specimen is the Warfield Quarry which falls within the FBM. The creature was quarried from the "18-inch layer;" which accounts for the previously noted relative hardness of the matrix and the petroleum smell emitted by the rock pulverized during prep. Grande reports that Notogoneus is less common than other types of fishes in the FBM. However, it is "not rare in the mid-lake 18-inch layer deposits, where it makes up between 0.3 and 2 percent of the fish fauna..."

Hi Snolly50,

Oh yeah, that Grande book is great - a must-have for sure.

Jess

On 4/5/2017 at 5:52 AM, snolly50 said:

LOL, ole snolly does pretty well...when he doesn't outsmart himself. Of course with age comes Wisdom. The older I get the more I realize what I don't know.

Look at you trying to take credit when we all know it was all your evil ( not as good looking ) twin's idea! ;)

Oh the shame!

Dorensigbadges.JPG