An Introductory Microfossil Specimen

fossilcrazy

Most of my fossil collecting has been Invertebrate Macrofossil collecting. Very little attention has been made to the little fossils. It is always a good idea to expand your knowledge, leave your comfort zone, go somewhere you have never been before. I find that not paying much attention to Microfossils has been a mistake. So when I saw an interesting Nummulites fossil slab for sale; I chose to purchase it. The rough cut specimen looked like it could reveal more, with a little attention. What I chose to do is give it a good high luster lap polish to see the results. So much more detail was made.

Where my specimen came from was Northern Spain, in or near the Pyrenees Mtns. near Aragon. The seller didn't give much info and what he did give was in Spanish. Chasing information down on the internet I found the mixed fossils were Nummulites sp. (large ones) and Alveolina sp. (smaller ones) I have some photos of my results to share.

Before polishing it looked like this:s-l1600.jpg

After polishing the fossils clarified, here are some closeups:P1310001R.JPGP1310003R.JPGP1310005R.JPG  

Apparently these fossils are common in Spain, neighboring France and other places in the world. This is an old engraving:i_111.jpg

In Spain, the Limestone the Nummulites are in, is used as building materials like blocks, steps, pavers.

I will need to do more studying of these neat looking spiral tests.

Great photos, John!   :wub:  Very cool example.

Thanks for posting these. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The slab is beautiful.I went to Peratallada a fantastic Medieval village in Spain where the walk ways and buildings are made of this material.No I didn't pinch any,tempting though.

DSCF7024.JPG

An excellent specimen, and the lap polish makes the forams and their structure very easy to see.  Thanks very much for sharing!

Rumi

Archived