Mystery Items

Barasingha

Not sure what either of these items are, if anything.  Square item is about 1" and looks like stone.  Longer item about 1 1/4" and looks fossilized. Both from Miocene area.  Thanks for any help.

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

The first one could be a borehole of a bivalve in hard substrate like rock (tumbled by water). Ichnofossil.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

The first one could be a bore hole of a bivalve in hard substrate like rock (tumbled by water). Ichnofossil.

My pal calls thing like them "net weights" You are right, the hole looks to perfect to be an artifact, machine made drill bits were not yet around.

I found a heap of similar rocks with the hole through it in Oklahoma.. Possible bore holes, neat!

@Jesuslover340 check this post out :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

The one with the hole we call "Hag" or "Odin" stones over here,they were used as weights for making cloth and also as a marriage symbol in Orkney.Orkney is now believed to be where civilization in the U.K. began and spread south.Dinosaur tracks are up there too!Bore hole.

Screenshot_2017-02-01-10-26-38.png

3 hours ago, Ash said:

I found a heap of similar rocks with the hole through it in Oklahoma.. Possible bore holes, neat!

@Jesuslover340 check this post out :)

We found a LOT of those...insomuch we thought they had no significance and started leaving them :P

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

general location information would help. I see a lot of folks are from "United States" or even something more nebulous. If we don't know where you're from or at least some idea of your geology it makes it difficult to determine your fossils identity. Your square rock with a round hole for instance could very well be a native relic if found while walking across a sandy field to your fossils site. If you collected it in the lag deposit with the bone of Miocene age it would be a mollusk? bored and worn rock.