Is this a fossil?

Benjaminpb

Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I'm hoping someone can help me identify some fossils I've found here in central Texas recently.

I've done some research and found out that the fossils here are mostly from the Cretaceous period. I was walking around in a creek bed today with two of my kids and we found some things that look like old bones. I'm obviously unsure of what they are and would really appreciate some feedback. Thank's, Ben P.

IMG_2477.JPG

Welcome to the forum from New York!  Can you take a pic of the ends as well as the opposite side? Also what Is the size of the item?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm getting a burrow cast vibe on this one:

IMG_2477.JPG.c8c6f2cbbc317b405cd51475ddf90ee6.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank's for the warm welcome darctooth! I am actually going to be on vacation in New York in about three weeks.

I'm having trouble posting pics on here but I will continue to try. It's only letting me post one at a time.

IMG_2479.JPG

Welcome from Texas. 

I agree with Fossildude19 (Tim), this looks like a burrow cast (the harder, consolidated remnants of sediment within an ancient marine burrow).  They can be very common in some formations around Central Texas.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank's for the prompt feedback everyone!

I have a few more fossils that I'm curious about as well. I'll post them on a new thread soon. Thank's again,Ben P.

I think those with pinched ends are likely coprolites. They look very similar to coprolites I've examined from the Eagle Ford Formation. The two longer ones look more like burrow casts, but could be coprolites as well. If you lightly touch the tip of your tongue to coprolites from this formation, they should stick. If they don't stick, I think your are looking at burrows casts. :P

4 hours ago, Benjaminpb said:

Thank's for the warm welcome darctooth! I am actually going to be on vacation in New York in about three weeks.

I'm having trouble posting pics on here but I will continue to try. It's only letting me post one at a time.

IMG_2479.JPG

You are coming to New York, in the middle  of February,  and you call it a vacation? I hope you you know how to Ski ! Lol.

1 minute ago, GeschWhat said:

I think those with pinched ends are likely coprolites. They look very similar to coprolites I've examined from the Eagle Ford Formation. The two longer ones look more like burrow casts, but could be coprolites as well. If you lightly touch the tip of your tongue to coprolites from this formation, they should stick. If they don't stick, I think your are looking at burrows casts. :P

:hearty-laugh:And you sound so convincing!

1 hour ago, Benjaminpb said:

Here's the rest of what we found today.

Any thoughts?

What county were they found in?

Round Rock covers several different geologic formations, ranging from Lower to Upper Cretaceous.  It's hard to see details in your images, but most of what I can see appears to be either burrow casts or possible parts of rudists from west of I-35.

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

This also works for fossilized bone provided it is not siliceous. Let me know if you have stickage! :D

Hmmm, stickage not stinkage.....

I recently told lady friend to tap small round specimens she had picked up on her teeth. If it clicks it was at least stoney. If it does not click throw it away.....

They were rabbit pellets.

Her response was, what's a rabbit pellet?

You can guess what her reaction to my answer was!!!!  :rofl:

Jess B

That's funny bone2stone! You should have told her they were milk duds.

Anyways.....I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm not sure that there's a general consensus yet though. Here's a few more pictures, hopefully they help. I'm very curious about the cracking at the ends. My daughter found the large rock with what appears to be one "growing" in it. 

IMG_2484.JPG

I agree with JohnJ. Some of them (if not all) share the internal mold morphology of rudists, especially of Caprinids. Here are some examples.

Scott 2002 JP 76_408-423 Caprinids.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library