Niobrara coprolite with marks

Ramo

17 hours ago, doushantuo said:

And was the seafloor below the Calcite Compensation Depth(more or less "lysocline)"?

I assume we're talking about the Western Interior Seaway?

In the Cretaceous,but which part of it?

BTW: anybody familiar with sea floor topography and its hypsometrical pecularities wouldn't poke fun at some questions I pose

BTW two :Seafloor lithification isn't a simple process.

Lithification involves such various processes as loss of water while pores were occluded by cement, the wet transformation of aragonite to calcite, recrystallisation of calcite, dissolution of small supersoluble particles, transfer of Mg2+, the production of secondary voids, influx of allochthonous CaCO3 and pressure-solution. Some micrites have been lithified on the seafloor as hardgrounds during prolonged exposure to seawater, supersaturated for CaCO3, for hundreds of thousands of years.

Of course,aragonitic mollusc can dissappear from the fossil record.... 

Please forgive my ignorance. I am not at all familiar with seafloor lithification. Given my field of interest (coprolites/ichnology), I would love to learn more, but it may take me a while to digest/understand all this. Yes, the Western Interior Seaway. I do not know which part, since I did not find the coprolite. That is what I was trying to ascertain when I asked @Ramo what unit it was found in. From what I understand, stratigraphy was mapped by Donald E. Hattin in Kansas Geological Survey, Bulletin 225. Different areas were identified by marker units. I haven't had a chance to read this yet, so I don't know the age of the "lower chalk." 

18 hours ago, doushantuo said:
19 hours ago, doushantuo said:

"The ocean bottom" meaning?

BTW: anybody familiar with sea floor topography and its hypsometrical pecularities wouldn't poke fun at some questions I pose

Sorry, but how could I not poke fun at that question? I am not that strong.:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived