Possible Moroccan/Egyptian fossil needing ID

Bandicoot

Hello there (new member here) I'm needing some help ID'ing this strange fossil.

I went to a city wide Gem and Mineral show today and happened to run across a bin filled with dig tailings from ether Morocco, or Egypt. Not sure as to where actually they are from but Spinosaurus teeth fragments were found in the same bin along with Sawtooth and unknown croc sp. fragments. I did inquire as to what it was and where they were from but I was told they were just trash and I could take it or leave it.  

This fossil is very knobby about halfway down, reminds me of Gila Monster beads.  It is broken in half and the inside is hollow. The rounded side is thicker than the knobby side and has holes for something like Blood vessels. Measurements are 4 1/2 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. Thickest part at the rounded tip on the inside is 3/4 inch thick. If you need any further details let me know.

I apologize now for the sub-par photos, my camera is VERY old and the focus on it is broken. But I think the photos i have should help in ID'ing what ever this strange thing is. 

Thank you very much 

Jess

IMG_20170203_011245_114.jpg

IMG_20170203_011349_414.jpg

IMG_20170203_011559_092.jpg

IMG_20170203_011655_869.jpg

IMG_20170203_011705_950.jpg

IMG_20170203_011734_861.jpg

IMG_20170203_011748_001.jpg

Wow I have no idea what that is. It's so interesting. Kinda reminds me of placoderm armor.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I have been looking around on the web and the forum here, and have not seen anything like this yet (but i did not search every photo in the galleries)  Another thing came to mind.... Some Ray Species perhaps? I'll look in to that... 

10 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It is a dorsal fin spine from a hybodont shark. You might be able to identify it to species.

Yes. this.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ahhh ha! Thank you.. after a quick search I found one small museum quality specimen under the name of Asteracanthus ornatissimus that has the same bump pattern. No idea as to what it looked like fleshed out but still rather cool in my book. Very few photos of this "style" of spine, makes me feel even better to have rescued it from the trash pile.

Search ONLY The Fossil Forum
I've found the following to be EXTREMELY helpful
and passing it along for the benefit of others.

Those of us who have been around for a while remember
in the past seeing a post on The Fossil Forum regarding
a specific topic and or remember seeing images of specific
fossils. We would like to quickly find those posts.

IMAGE Search (ONLY The Fossil Forum): LINK
TEXT Search (ONLY The Fossil Forum): LINK

The above are Google "Advanced" search engines.
You don't have to scroll down to click on the search tab.
Just press the Enter Key

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

The biggest problem I was having before I found this place was even trying to figure out what I was even searching for. If it wasn't for an image search on google I wouldn't have found this site. Once I found this place I decided to ask you all.  I did do a search in the galleries, and looked up in the ID section but again I had no clue what I'm looking for. I'm not really a shark person... and frankly I'm just a gal who like to collect "pretty rocks". I do have some knowledge in fossils but I'm not a paleontologist.

I will keep this search in mind if I run across anything else I am not sure of, but I knew nothing of it when I joined.    

56 minutes ago, Bandicoot said:

The biggest problem I was having before I found this place was even trying to figure out what I was even searching for. If it wasn't for an image search on google I wouldn't have found this site. Once I found this place I decided to ask you all.  I did do a search in the galleries, and looked up in the ID section but again I had no clue what I'm looking for. I'm not really a shark person... and frankly I'm just a gal who like to collect "pretty rocks". I do have some knowledge in fossils but I'm not a paleontologist.

I will keep this search in mind if I run across anything else I am not sure of, but I knew nothing of it when I joined.    

Your frustration is understood !
I started fossil hunting before there were home computers and the Internet.
:D

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

Your frustration is understood !
I started fossil hunting before there were home computers and the Internet.
:D

we used these obscure things called ... books and libraries 

I know that one... having to go to the local library once a week with a box of rocks in hand as a kid... and the frustration of trying to figure out what was what and from who and what time.... made you want to facedesk... then the utter disappointment of finding out you only had a really cool looking rock. :ighappy:

If I try to compare the specimen in question with those described and represented by L. Agassiz in Recherches sur les poissons fossiles, Tome III, 1833-1843, I agree that it looks similar to Asteracanthus.

5894f88a42f19_v3_plate8.thumb.jpg.c8a1ca509d06de788a89da0af25a4fe7.jpg5894f884637b6_v3_plate8a.thumb.jpg.201214a577ddcbe551fa491f49ee260a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived