Not a T.rex hand claw

Susan from PA

Hi folks!  I'm a little late to the party here, but this was posted on a popular fossils website.  I apologize for the delay in posting, but I couldn't take a photo without having the website's name exposed.   This specimen was listed as a very elusive T.rex hand claw, at a reasonable price.  Unfortunately, it is an Anzu wyliei foot claw and not a T.rex hand claw.  Misidentifying these two claws is a very common mistake.   The second photo is the Anzu wyliei toe claw from my collection.  If any of you purchased this claw, please contact the seller.   Information came to me last night by member @Troodon, who knows I'm always snooping around the Internet like a hound dog for T.rex material.  :trex:

image.jpg.edac48206693c2931c607fb0b0245c95.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c4a9c5bc75c2e55add6dc88ae656b9b5.jpg

2 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Looks like Anzu to me too.  Held two of them in my hand last week in Tucson.

Yes indeed!  They are much, much, more common than a very rare T.rex hand claw.  In fact, I've only ever seen one for sale.  

I have contacted the seller, and very politely told them that a mistake in ID had been made.  Hopefully, they will do the right thing and let the buyer know.  

7 minutes ago, Susan from PA said:

Yes indeed!  They are much, much, more common than a very rare T.rex hand claw.  In fact, I've only ever seen one for sale.  

I have contacted the seller, and very politely told them that a mistake in ID had been made.  Hopefully, they will do the right thing and let the buyer know.  

Hopefully the seller takes your advice and learns from the experience.

(I cropped your image to only display the claw.)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hopefully the seller takes your advice and learns from the experience.

(I cropped your image to only display the claw.)

Thanks John!  I had a heck of a time trying to crop it this morning.   :dinothumb:

I heard back from the seller, and they have informed the buyer of the misidentification.  Seems that they did a little research themselves too!   :fistbump:

IMG_0276.thumb.PNG.7acc00615d7ae3a7a84146960fcef97a.PNG

Seems like this situation was handled very well. It's great when people point out a possible misidentification to a seller versus making the assumption that the seller is scamming people. I know this seller tries to be very transparent with customers.

16 minutes ago, Bguild said:

Seems like this situation was handled very well. It's great when people point out a possible misidentification to a seller versus making the assumption that the seller is scamming people. I know this seller tries to be very transparent with customers.

I agree.  I wish I could show you the email that I sent, but I cannot crop a photo of it enough to block out the seller's name.   This was clearly a case of the seller not knowing, and it was an honest mistake.  He did the right thing by contacting the buyer and addressing the situation.  This makes him a very honest seller, and I am likely to purchase some specimens from him in the future.  In fact, I'm going to look right now and see if he has anything that I would like to add to my collection.  B)

I also saw this claw on this extremely popular Website. Fossils probably sell faster on this website than from any other dealer I've ever seen. I was also surprised that he had misidentified the claw. He obviously is not a member of The Fossil Forum.

Speaking of members, what happened to Troodon? I haven't seen him post in awhile.

3 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I also saw this claw on this extremely popular Website. Fossils probably sell faster on this website than from any other dealer I've ever seen. I was also surprised that he had misidentified the claw. He obviously is not a member of The Fossil Forum.

Speaking of members, what happened to Troodon? I haven't seen him post in awhile.

I agree his site is probably the most popular in the world. I am glad he's honest enough to acknowledge this mistake. I too will be looking through his stuff in the future.

Troodon still posts every now and then. He just made a post on the croc vert ID page several days ago. Let's hope he will return to posting actively soon.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 2/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

The good stuff gets snatched up faster than you can believe. This company's owner actually does have a FF account. I've seen him post here and there.

Either way, this claw was relisted with the correct Anzu footclaw ID.

Archived