Coprolite or Chalcedony?

EchoBravo

I found what I thought was originally a giant superior agate. After cutting it and didn't see any fortification I labeled it common Chalcedony. Then I read an article about Coprolites in my Rock & Gem mag. and they had a carving that looked exactly like the inside of my.. what I thought was chalcedony. Being more of a rock guy than a fossil guy I thought I would try and get some expert advice on its identification. Here is why I think it might be coprolite.

1. superior agates are formed inside of basalt cavities and weathered out which leaves impressions on the outside.. (none I could find that looked like other agates)

2. there looks to be insect burrow holes like something may have bored in at one time and after it mineralized left a bit of druzy quartz in the burrow holes. (can only see with eye piece)

3. there is a slight flat spot like it had been sitting for some time undisturbed prior to mineralization.

These were some of the things I read in the article that had me second guessing what I had found. 

I found the piece along a lake bank that had eroded a bit due to receding ice. This is in Buffalo, (Wright County) Minnesota.

Thanks.

one pic is whole, the rest I cut in half and polished one side to try and enhance the view on the inside.

3lbsagate.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

Edited by EchoBravo
typos

Not sure if it helps in the fossil world but the material had a hardness of 7 on the MOHs scale. Used a scratch test kit to identify hardness. Thanks.

Sadly, I'm 99.5% sure it is not coprolite. Many of the siliceous rocks that show up online (usually from Utah) as coprolites are most likely not coprolites at all. Unless there are visible bone inclusion, they are found in direct association with a fossilized skeleton,  or contain backfilled insect burrows, there is no way to know for sure. I have yet to find or see a Minnesota coprolite, but am always on the look-out. Keep looking! :D

• I found this Informative 1

I also do not see coprolite here, sorry.:wacko:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg