Japan Fossil Show

Dracorex_hogwartsia

I was wondering if anyone has ever been to a fossil show in Japan. I found some pictures on the Internet of some fossil shows in Japan and the quality of the dinosaur fossils shown are incredible. I'm not sure when or where these pictures were taken.

assorted teeth for sale081224.jpg

assorted teeth for sale1391459047.jpg

assorted teeth for sale1391459052.jpg

assorted teeth for sale120274011716416206928.jpg

assorted teeth for salen1.jpg

assorted teeth for saleTIMA_George.jpg

I was speaking to a dealer at Tucson who said he used to go, I didn't ask him too much about it though. After looking at the quality of these teeth I may have to book a trip. Anyone know about fossil exportation rules from Japan?

I've never been to  show in Japan, but I've seen some of these pictures before on the internet. 

I have heard on one dealer for sure that does a lot of business in Japan.  The Japanese will pay top dollar for dinosaur fossils, especially T.rex teeth.  Whether the teeth of higher quality are taken to the show in Japan compared to that of Tucson, I cannot answer.

I would assume that if you are bringing a fossil into the United States that was originally found on private land in the U.S., it wouldn't be a problem.  

2 hours ago, Susan from PA said:

I've never been to  show in Japan, but I've seen some of these pictures before on the internet. 

I have heard on one dealer for sure that does a lot of business in Japan.  The Japanese will pay top dollar for dinosaur fossils, especially T.rex teeth.  Whether the teeth of higher quality are taken to the show in Japan compared to that of Tucson, I cannot answer.

I would assume that if you are bringing a fossil into the United States that was originally found on private land in the U.S., it wouldn't be a problem.  

I've never been to the Tucson show but I've known people who have been over the years. Nobody I have ever talked to has described dinosaur teeth like this being available. I've also seen a lot of pictures taken at the show but I've never seen anything like this. I don't know if these pictures are recent or taken 20 years ago but it does seem that the best fossils are being sold in Japan. Not surprising really, like you said, fossils sold in Japan will bring a much higher price. 

I have seen these pics too. I don't know if I remember correctly, but Troodon might know who the seller of those teeth are.

I really do want to contact whoever's holding those teeth! There's a tyrannosaurid or two I really need in my collection!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

27 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I have seen these pics too. I don't know if I remember correctly, but Troodon might know who the seller of those teeth are.

I really do want to contact whoever's holding those teeth! There's a tyrannosaurid or two I really need in my collection!

Hey Andy,

If You put an @ in front of troodon it will send Him a notification to look at this thread.

ie. @Troodon

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

Hey Andy,

If You put an @ in front of troodon it will send Him a notification to look at this thread.

ie. @Troodon

Tony

By our quotes combin'd, we summonth @Troodon to our humble threadth!

O great Troodon, cometh f'rth! We beseech thee for an answer - Who is't holds the key to these incredibleth dinosaur teeth? 

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 minute ago, -Andy- said:

By our quotes combin'd, we summonth @Troodon to our humble threadth!

O great Troodon, cometh f'rth! We beseech thee for an answer - Who is't holds the key to these incredibleth dinosaur teeth? 

:rofl::hearty-laugh::1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

14 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I've never been to the Tucson show but I've known people who have been over the years. Nobody I have ever talked to has described dinosaur teeth like this being available.

I'd actually say these picture are very similar to what's available in Tucson both this year and last year when I attended, with the difference being the large Rex tooth with the root on the counter top  (i'm guessing that what it is).  I only saw one large tooth with root like that for sale this year, and it was Tarbosaur with an asking price of $9000.  Teeth of similar quality and size are fairly common in Tucson.  I am NOT a tooth guy however so they may be different but look similar from my novice eye.  Below is the tooth in Tucson I mentioned.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.f3f073ce6e9e1d172a4563ee8510172e.jpg

Not sure who the dealer is with the pictures from the Japanese show.  The displays don't look family to me from Tucson and I didn't run into any Japanese sellers either.

I'm afraid I didn't really say what I meant properly. I know examples of all of these teeth have been available over the years at the Tucson show but are there dealers at Tucson this year that have this amount of high quality dinosaur teeth for sale. Troodon took numerous pictures from the Tucson show last year, nowhere did I see any picture with the massive amounts of beautiful fully rooted dinosaur teeth that fill these pictures. The teeth in these pictures are over the top beautiful! 

I've seen most of these pictures on the web before. I believe some of these booths at least belong to George Heslep.

31 minutes ago, Carcharodontosaurus said:

I've seen most of these pictures on the web before. I believe some of these booths at least belong to George Heslep.

He's the one who told me he used to go to the Tokyo show and he has the same case as the one in the 4th picture now that I look at it again.  The guy in that picture is also wearing shorts which is all I've ever seen George wear! 

2 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Troodon took numerous pictures from the Tucson show last year, nowhere did I see any picture with the massive amounts of beautiful fully rooted dinosaur teeth that fill these pictures. The teeth in these pictures are over the top beautiful! 

That's because I bought them all before anyone could take any pictures.  :P

I'm just kidding....I know that rooted teeth have been very hard to come by lately, and as you know, are quite rare.  I was talking to a well known seller of Moroccan material, and he only found one tooth this year at the Tucson show that was of the quality that he looks for when purchasing teeth.  Another thing to keep in mind, is that there are collectors that go to the show on  opening day in order to purchase the best material.  By the time the first weekend rolls around, many of the best specimens are already spoken for.  I also heard from another dealer that everyone was low on dinosaur material compared to other years.  

On 6 February 2017 at 6:57 AM, Carcharodontosaurus said:

Carch has it right.

I know that several of these photos are from the same show and I know a few of these specific teeth quite well.

Somewhat educated guess would be 10-15 years ago.
I agree the quality is very high and the rarity is relevant to how plentiful Asian and South American material was on the open market at the time.

I am sure there would have been a lot of standard collector grade teeth there too however they probably weren't as likely to be photographed.

I would love to go there one day too, thanks for sharing these amazing pictures!

On 2/4/2017 at 3:55 PM, Susan from PA said:

Hi Susan from PA

The Japan shows (one in June; one in December) were kind of a secret among the dealers that sold there because there were big buyers of fossils there for a while.  You'd hear them say they didn't do that great but then they kept going so that told you something.  However, the country was hit with an economic downturn several years ago and things haven't gotten much better.  Some of those dealers are still going so money is still being made even with the high travel costs - just not as much.  

I don't know if dealers save a fossil for one of the Tokyo shows instead of taking it to Tucson.  I would say the Japanese are very science-literate so the average Japanese fossil collector is going to recognize even the more obscure members of several extinct groups.  You might have a better chance at selling a fossil argonaut, for example, in Japan rather than in America because I think more collectors there know what an argonaut is and how rare they are as fossils.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Susan from PA

The Japan shows (one in June; one in December) were kind of a secret among the dealers that sold there because there were big buyers of fossils there for a while.  You'd hear them say they didn't do that great but then they kept going so that told you something.  However, the country was hit with an economic downturn several years ago and things haven't gotten much better.  Some of those dealers are still going so money is still being made even with the high travel costs - just not as much.  

I don't know if dealers save a fossil for one of the Tokyo shows instead of taking it to Tucson.  I would say the Japanese are very science-literate so the average Japanese fossil collector is going to recognize even the more obscure members of several extinct groups.  You might have a better chance at selling a fossil argonaut, for example, in Japan rather than in America because I think more collectors there know what an argonaut is and how rare they are as fossils.

Jess

Hi Jess, 

Thanks so much for your insight!  I completely agree with your assessment.  I remember selling a few of my smaller T.rex teeth a few years ago on an auction site in order to improve the specimens in my collection.  Most of the buyers were from Japan. They asked all the pertinent questions that only very knowledgeable collectors would know to ask.  Japanese buyers won most, if not all of the auctions as well.