Carboniferous trunk preserved in its natural position

Juan A. Poblador

Hello everyone! :)

Here I show you some photos of a Carboniferous trunk preserved in its natural position. Really amazing !. It can be seen how the growth of the trunk curved the sediments of its around in its growth while pushing upwards.

It is a magnificent criterion of stratigraphic polarity!

It is an outcropping within a large Carboniferous Basin of Northern Spain, in Leon.

Greetings!

Juan

PA110052.JPG

PA110053.JPG

PA110054.JPG

Wow that's quite a find. Interesting to see the fill structures within the trunk--looks like shale bedding and concretionary masses. Are there any remnants of the bark pattern? Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris 

Unfortunately the trunk showed no remnants of the bark pattern. Except in tiny sectors where you could still "intuit". The mother rock is mainly shale, with higher and lower content in organic matter. In nearby sectors, these shales become Anthracite, Coal and Lignite, depending on the sector of the Basin.

Most of the structure of the trunk is the result of its filling. So that most of its possible structures disappeared.

That is cool!

There was a similar discovery not too far from me here in East TN. An entire Pennsylvanian forest of lepidonendron trees was found still in their upright growth position in the Hazard, KY area. They were in the Breathitt Formation. Sadly the site has since been destroyed, but there are still some of these Carboniferous trees standing around in various parts of East TN and KY, I have read that they come from rapid sedimentation buildup such as from storm surge and other floods.