Please help me identify if these are fossils from California coast?

Ravendi

Hello! I am not really a fossil collector- or any kind of expert- but I do like to collect natural things I find in various places, and have held on to these for a few years without having an idea if they're really anything at all. I found this forum and would absolutely love some help! Even if there is no identification to be had, it would be great to know if it's still worth holding onto- or... just a rock. The first is a white hard substance with some interesting spiral patterns in it. As you can see in the first photo, the inside chamber of the main form is hollow. I found it on a California beach, probably Pismo?

IMG_7319.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_73212.jpg

The second is the one I’m more intrigued about. There are what looks to be some small, possibly chambered spiral shapes in here (see arrow in first picture)- similar to an ammonite perhaps? Or it could just be the way the rock is patterned. This was also found in California, I believe in Cambria, on Moonstone beach. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks so much you guys!

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG

Also, one last thing- fossilized tube worm? Or something like it?

Plus bonus fossilized sand dollar- one of my favorite finds!

IMG_7347.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

Welcome to the forum from New York! You have some interesting finds but sorry I can't help with id.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The rock from Cambria is probably metamorphic or igneous, as there's almost nothing in the way of fossils or sedimentary rocks in that region. The very last specimen is a sand dollar, possibly Astrodapsis - a common late Miocene sand dollar.

• I found this Informative 4

In first Picture I'am only seeing some tube worms.

The third one it is tube worms too.

The last one it's a echinoid, a sand dollar.

The second one looks like Agate .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 year later...

First specimen, looks like agate shells out of the vaqueros that are extremely watern worn.

Second specimen is a chunk of Rhyolite and perlite, the exterior of a geode known as a thunderegg that we find locally. Some would call what you found "mushroom rhyolite" 

Worm tube and astrodapsis are correct for the others. 

On February 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM, Boesse said:

The rock from Cambria is probably metamorphic or igneous, as there's almost nothing in the way of fossils or sedimentary rocks in that region. The very last specimen is a sand dollar, possibly Astrodapsis - a common late Miocene sand dollar.

Hi Bobby,

That sand dollar matrix looks similar to what used to be called the "Neroly" Formation, part of the San Pablo Group.  It think it has a different name now.  There's a site in Rodeo (Contra Costa County) you might have checked in the past.  It's on a residential street.  The most common fossil there is a dime-quarter size Astrodapsis and some smaller mollusks plus bits of larger ones, as I recall.  I never saw a vertebrate bit of any kind.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

• 10 months later...