Browsed the web for hours, need some help

tsaar

Hello, 

Found these two fossils in Schellinkhout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schellinkhout) in the 70's and have never been able to find out what they are. 

I have two of them, found them on the same little beach with a few weeks of separation. 

About 10 cm long, 4 cm wide and tapered in a short of fin-like shape, looks to me like wood or of vegetal origin, but I find nothing similar when I search for fossilised wood pictures.

Would love to hear what you think, 

Cheers.

fossiel 2.jpg

Fossiel.jpg

Fossiel 3.jpg

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Maybe a coral(?)

Yeah I was also searching in that direction but the pictures I find are different.

I wonder if it is just wood that eroded in a particular way by being underwater in a current and fossilised afterwards.

Then again, finding two similar pieces, you'd think it is a common find at this location.

Also searched a bit for that, but no luck. In fact I have never seen a similar fossil. Not in museums, not on the Internet. Drives me mad.

Coral seems a very good bet though.

They are meandroid coral ("brain coral") fragments.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

They are meandroid coral ("brain coral") fragments.

Ah, just looked that up. You are probably right ! Thanks ! 

Pretty neat...they almost look like barnacle frags I find here...I'll have to look tonight on a real screenn...this phone display just doesn't do much....thanks for the post...regards chris

33 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Pretty neat...they almost look like barnacle frags I find here...I'll have to look tonight on a real screenn...this phone display just doesn't do much....thanks for the post...regards chris

I think so too- barnacle fragments.

4 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Just for clarity's sake:that's NOT a taxonomical asessment

General direction is good enough for my purposes, but wow it gets complicated pretty fast with Corals I see !

Found this one, after abysunders' hint : http://www.nhm.ac.uk/natureplus/thread/3581 that actually looks a lot like mine, especially in the side view. But it seems it is not a fossil. :)

Will check out the Barnacle fragments now, see what fits better. It came out of the sea, I think we agree on that one. 

Thanks all !

I could see the resemblance in details. :)

Fossiel.jpg.3a91891a933a30cb2fe9940deead91c5.thumb.jpg.0796098ba273bd23fb65e98fcd953163.jpgP1030458_1280x720.thumb.JPG.7ea3b5cc7778b478e90ec72ef14127e9.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, Plantguy said:

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think so too- barnacle fragments.

I have not seen a barnacle with an undulating cross section or that type of branching in the shell.

Would love to see some pictures if You have them.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I wouldn't expect to find a tropical coral in the Netherlands, plus it really doesn't look like any coral I have seen. I don't have access to my collection this week but some of the larger barnacles have similar texture. Do a google search of Megabalanus. Modern barnacles have a similar pattern of hollow tubes inside the plates. The tubes in the posted fossil don't really resemble corallites.

51 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I wouldn't expect to find a tropical coral in the Netherlands, plus it really doesn't look like any coral I have seen. I don't have access to my collection this week but some of the larger barnacles have similar texture. Do a google search of Megabalanus. Modern barnacles have a similar pattern of hollow tubes inside the plates. The tubes in the posted fossil don't really resemble corallites.

During Pangea episode Holland and U.K. were tropical so I understand.

Ok the clearer pictures on this computer display make me still believe its a barnacle fragment..The size of your frags are impressive-must be a big critter. Here are some shots of the tropical fossil version that I've been finding in the past couple months--you can see some of the undulations and internal textures that caught my untrained eye as Eric/Tony are noting. Wouldnt be at all surprised if Eric has it pegged. 

20170206_211217.thumb.jpg.1be1d9d549ba7633e132692a6f3776a6.jpg20170206_211345.thumb.jpg.eb2f290adc43ba9a0c61f2c8d7893394.jpg20170206_211438.thumb.jpg.6c91be4a8bfad59be45ba5946d12263b.jpg20170206_211514.thumb.jpg.77acbda9d99b26b9a42e38e538a0594c.jpg

I'm definitely not a invert person but like picking the dang extant/extinct things up and looking at em...Thanks for triggering the curiousity! Regards, Chris 

3 minutes ago, Yvie said:

During Pangea episode Holland and U.K. were tropical so I understand.

That is true but brain corals are fairly modern, not Paleozoic. In the Paleozoic you would expect rugosan and tabulate corals which don't resemble your fossil. 

Can we have pictures of the opposite sides of the specimens?

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

--you can see some of the undulations and internal textures

I still do not see the branching and undulating cross section that is in the OP's piece.

22 hours ago, tsaar said:

Ah, just looked that up. You are probably right

A picture straight on to the wide end would also help with the id.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for the pictures. They aren't barnacle plates. They are pretty nice meandroid coral fragments (as I thought) tumbled by the waves to the shore. :)

589a10225c86e_FOSSIL3.thumb.jpg.bf17ddda5b09910e9616c635d3b1b719.jpg.83145ed5727fa1d53d09dffa42f62291.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived