Identifying Shark/Ray/Bony Fish Vertebrae

MarcoSr

I see a large number of posts where the poster asks for id help with a fish vertebra.  Most times a lot of information is given, but unfortunately not all of it is correct.  There are bits and pieces of fish vertebrae id information in a number of books, papers, articles, websites etc. but nothing that I’ve seen that I would consider to be comprehensive.  The below paper is a rather obscure one but which I’ve found extremely helpful with the id of extant shark vertebrae which also helps with the fossil ones: 

A Guide to Identifying Shark Centra from Southeastern Archaeological Sites Kozuch and Fitzgerald 1989

https://www.academia.edu/5653950/A_Guide_to_Identifying_Shark_Centra_from_Southeastern_Archaeological_Sites_Kozuch_and_Fitzgerald_1989?auto=download

I have thousands of shark, ray, sawfish, and bony fish vertebrae but unfortunately I just don’t have the time to take pictures of them.  I see all kinds of generalizations about the differences between these types of  vertebrae that get included in fish vertebra id post replies that are just not universally true based upon my personal readings and collection.  Below are a few generalizations from the above paper:

5898ab2f52324_VertebraeGeneralizations.png.f7c45963ceb6c261d58acf5a03aecef8.png

If you are aware of other papers, articles, websites etc. that would help TFF members better understand these vertebrae could you please add links to them in replies to this post?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Great idea for a thread Marco Sr. We do get a lot of questions about iding isolated fish verts. I've collected a bunch of papers on shark verts that I can upload when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

Great idea for a thread Marco Sr. We do get a lot of questions about iding isolated fish verts. I've collected a bunch of papers on shark verts that I can upload when I get a chance.

That would be great.  My hard drive crashed last year and I lost most of my papers so I definitely would like to see the papers.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

:popcorn:

Wish I could help with this, but I know nothing about either type of vert.

Maybe this will help to sort it out!

Tony

PS Great idea Marco.:dinothumb:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

:popcorn:

Wish I could help with this, but I know nothing about either type of vert.

Maybe this will help to sort it out!

Tony

PS Great idea Marco.:dinothumb:

Tony

Hopefully other TFF members will post links to good references.

Marco Sr.

• 1 year later...

Archived