Fossil found in bird seeds... ?

gwar822

its about the size of a dime. found it in my bird feeder... very very weird! any ideas?

i live in florida

was in my bird feeder with seeds.. it could have been in the seeds or placed there by a bird

20170206_121922_1486402557415.jpg

20170206_121943_1486402557017.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by gwar822

This is probably a silly question, but is it attracted to a magnet? It looks man-made to me, but fossils can look that way sometimes. I'm looking forward to learning what this is. Someone will probably know. It's an interesting puzzle. Thanks for posting it.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

It is a common habit for birds to "bathe" in dust. I often see nest like structures where roughed grouse do this. I can easily see a fossil of this shape becoming lodged in feathers. 

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It is a common habit for birds to "bathe" in dust. I often see nest like structures where roughed grouse do this. I can easily see a fossil of this shape becoming lodged in feathers. 

Seems an unlikely scenario. Also, there are visible attachment scars or breaks that show a typical plant wood color. There are also some scrape marks on the piece that show the same color.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I checked to see if its magnetic and its not. It might be some kind of seed pod or made of plant material. Im wondering if i should use a q-tip and clean it gently with something. Im going to research seed pods and see. ima also sift through the bird seeds and see if i find any more.

its funny because it looks like a fossil too but it was in my bird feeder. It was actually on the ledge on the bird feeder where it could have been placed by a bird and might not have come from the seeds

it weighs only .2 of a gram so its kind of light. its mostlikley not a fossil but a fossil mimic ill post some research results when i can.

Hard to say what it is, but is interesting (I think) for a bird. I'm wondering if couldn't be some gypsum artifact, looking at the core and the shape of it.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Have you attempted to give it hot needle test?

Use pliers to hold needle, heat needle red hot.

Touch specimen with needle, if it smokes or produces an aroma it may a recent organic particle.

Give it a try.

It may be part of a pod.

Jess B.