Agatized Tooth from Central Oregon Coast

agateheart

Hi everyone. I found this tooth on an Oregon beach near Yachats in the winter of 2015. It was in the wrack line. It has never been properly identified, although I've heard some interesting theories/guesses from saber tooth to sperm whale to walrus. It is 3 inches long. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Fossil3.jpg

Fossil0.jpg

Fossil2.jpg

Edited by agateheart
Needed to add descriptive info.

I think I may have seen this specimen before. It's a sperm whale tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

Fabulous! I appreciate your help. Happy to have found y'all! I tried to get it ID'd through a Facebook group page, so it's possible it's been seen there. Thanks again.

Ash

Stratigraphic provenance is a bit of a problem with this one. I do not know what lies to the south, but 1) sperm whales have a Miocene-Recent range and 2) the nearest Miocene outcrops (Astoria Fm.) are well, well north near Newport. Matter of fact, there aren't really any Miocene deposits at all around Yachats. Or even Oligocene deposits. Then again, the map I have ends just about a mile south of Yachats so I don't know what lies to the south.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, @Boesse My ten year old and I are doing all the research to decipher what this means. I know a mammoth tooth was found a few years ago in Florence, south of Yachats.

3eb1ae0bf45ec3b717f26a6261f46cf4.jpg