Hunting the Peace

Shellseeker

I was out hunting Sunday and Monday, different spots, different finds  -- Life (and the Peace River) are like a box of chocolates.

Here is a photo from going back in time yesterday.IMG_2272PeaceRiverPhoto.JPG.b0e2a9494ce5097b4fe61405bdf8559b.JPG

Never encountered another person the whole day. I did see a gator, bass, an owl, lots of birds and fish.

No fantastic finds but questions. The majority of small teeth I was finding were Tiger sharks, many of the common ones but 15-20 G. Contortus which implies miocene.

IMG_2280All.thumb.jpg.bdff178cfd17de1e3081e75a1c7af499.jpg

I hate breaking fossils before I see them, but that is exactly what happened with one of these. At first I thought it was a fossilized wood branch but in looking closer -- a segment of dolphin jaw and very odd section at that.  Instead of a longitudional groove containing the tooth sockets, this one had alternating mounds and depressions.  The sockets are (I guess ) filled in... This does not seem like the normal type of dolphin jaw that I traditionally see from the Pleistocene of the Peace River, so decided to post and ask TFF members from NC, Maryland, etc to comment on jaw comparisons like I see in this link:

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/mammal/marine/eurhinodelphis/eurhinodelphis_miocene.htm

IMG_2277DolphinJaw3cm.thumb.jpg.e9aa2d7a9ea13a7cc62b7453df283f68.jpg

One more picture.  Looks like an edge osteoderm..relatively small.  I almost tossed it... Giant Armadillo or Glyptodont?

IMG_2285Osteoderm.thumb.jpg.588d7deea1e670e79363406cc44c15ae.jpg

Thanks for any/all suggestions or just WAGs.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Cal,  I am not sure that I would recognize a Sloth Osteoderm if it bit me.  Here are some other photos from other sides. I have modified colors to highlight details. The piece is actually black

IMG_2286Osteoderm1.thumb.jpg.f37c06101cbcac26b7a65f4be2b82946.jpg

IMG_2287Osteoderm2.thumb.jpg.4d70c956f55b15fac98586071abfc19b.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I just did some searching and found this eBay listing from prehistoric Florida.  Maybe this CAN be a Sloth Osteoderm.  That would be great!!!

Look at that one upper right...

s-l1600SlothOsteoderm.jpg.54e0125b47573af0fee4a6f7ad4d8fde.jpg

Interesting finds Jack. can't help with id's am very interested to see what others have to offer particularly the osteoderms...I've seen some really worn blobs that I have never been able to understand and trying to find some of those osteos that have notches that are supposed to help with an id...will wait with anticipation....

Continued hunting success.

Regards, Chris

Always a great day in the field when you find something interesting that requires some research after the find. Even a day when you don't pull lots of fossils from the Peace River can be quite satisfying when you find something that enables a bit of learning.

I too would likely not recognize a sloth osteoderm if it were fired at my noggin from a slingshot. :blink: Sometimes it pays to keep some of those mystery pieces instead of tossing them back in the river.

Cheers.

-Ken