Giant Ammonites, Echinoids And Wardrobe Malfunctions

BobC

MikeD , Oh-Man and I went out to a Salado quarry this weekend for some giant ammonites! We found several--ranging from a foot across to almost three feet across, along with some weird worm-like fossils (see fossil ID thread). Here is a link to a video I made of my fossil hunting pals standing in front of an up-turned rock that displayed a cool ammonite cast (it was such a perfect photo-op setup that I expected paparazzi to leap out from behind it):

post-1290-1245625184_thumb.jpg

hey there is an ammonite in that block right there i wasnt sure if you could tell or not, now who claims it? there are three of you...

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

And here is a pic of a cool-looking cow that came straight up to me and started mooing at me!! Not sure if she was alerting me to an ammonite in the area--but she was definitely trying to tell me something!

post-1290-1245625425_thumb.jpg

And here is a pic of a cool-looking cow that came straight up to me and started mooing at me!! Not sure if she was alerting me to an ammonite in the area--but she was definitely trying to tell me something!

bob i think she likes you, she has that look in her eyes

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

The good ol' Duck Creek formation with the ginormous Eopachydiscus ammos, love those.

Lance I saw no ducks in this quarry, but we did see some wild turkeys. That was a joke.

Hey Lance--I have a question--if these guys came out of the Duck Creek Formation, can I find any sea urchins in that formation? If so what kind? I ask because I have seen exactly ZERO urchins in this quarry and I have been out there six times. Conversely, I can drive maybe two miles from the quarry and I am suddenly knee deep in Phymosoma, Tetragrammas and heart urchins. Obviously the formations change abruptly in that area.

Lance I saw no ducks in this quarry, but we did see some wild turkeys. That was a joke.

Hey Lance--I have a question--if these guys came out of the Duck Creek Formation, can I find any sea urchins in that formation? If so what kind? I ask because I have seen exactly ZERO urchins in this quarry and I have been out there six times. Conversely, I can drive maybe two miles from the quarry and I am suddenly knee deep in Phymosoma, Tetragrammas and heart urchins. Obviously the formations change abruptly in that area.

I've seen in total two Macraster echinoids from the Eopachydiscus zone, lowest Duck Creek. They were on the small side.

Here in North Texas once you get stratigraphically higher than the blocky limestone it changes to Limey Marly/Marly Limestone/shale :wacko: and in that can be found the jumbo Macrasters, Holasters, Goniophorus, Tetragrammas, ect. Dan found a superlative one in the quarry up here. :wub:

It sounds like your spot two miles away maybe in the Walnut formation if it's due west. A large elevation change can account for a quick change in formations over a couple miles.

So, what's with the "wardrobe malfunction"? Please tell me it didn't involve the cow! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

bmore: I claim that ammo in the name of the fossil hunting trio as part of our statewide, in situ collection. :P

Lance/Bob: I haven't checked my maps yet, but the echinoids, oysters and gastropods we collected sure looked like a lot of my previous Walnut formation finds and was not too many miles from some known Walnut exposures.

Auspex: My fishnets were under my pants, so I have noooooo idea what Bob was talking about! :o

Auspex--very good! I was waiting for someone with a sharp eye to ask about the "wardrobe malfunction!!" Let's just say that I took five other videos that day--but can't post any of them because of a wardrobe malfunction on the part of Mike D. His new "gangster look" exposed a certain area of his anatomy to the camera that was better left unseen, and certainly not posted on Youtube. I confronted Mike on his shocking exhibitionism on the way home, but he just cackled--informing me "Hey--If you got it, FLAUNT IT!!" I'm lookin' good BABY--lookin' REAL GOOD!!" Owen and I were shocked silly, but said nothing!

You know the whole time I was filming, I never once noticed Mike's unveiled anatomy ( do NOT insert any theories here)--but towards the end of the day Owen and I helpfully suggested a new belt, or a longer shirt.

Since Bob is good with the computer graphics Mike thought that maybe he could add some fuzziness effects to blur out the plumber's crack.

I told Mike that is he could do that why wouldn't he just take it another step and add a pink thong to the video in all the appropriate, or should I say inappropriate, places!!! :P

Thanks again for meeting with us Bob! I just wish we hadn't seen so many ammonites that were cut in half by the quarry equipment!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice Finds ....well done......

The cow was saying.... '' Dont look in that pile of rock, look in the udder one''...... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

...Mike thought that maybe he could add some fuzziness effects to blur out the plumber's crack...

By all means, please spare us that particular "smiley"! )(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Owen--you are very welcome! Sorry it was so frikkin hideously hot! And the fly attack that we suffered at the Rattlesnake Inn is something that never happened before! I took it as a sign to chill for the rest of the summer.

Re: the thong suggestion. I'll get right on that! But don't expect to be seeing me slip any dollar bills into it! That'll be your job!

Nice finds, love the ammonites, sounds like a good time was had by all, even the cow looked satified! :P

Betts--I always have fun, but honestly it is just getting too hot for me. I am going to spend the summer taking scuba lessons and cleaning fossils.

Speaking of, can anyone suggest what kind of air-cleaning thingee I could purchase to clean these fossils? Is it messy?

Betts--I always have fun, but honestly it is just getting too hot for me. I am going to spend the summer taking scuba lessons and cleaning fossils.

Speaking of, can anyone suggest what kind of air-cleaning thingee I could purchase to clean these fossils? Is it messy?

Yes, it is messy. There are some air tube parts that occasionally wear out due to the high pressure and abrasive. That can result in a blowout that sends dust everywhere. The main work is done in a box with a top window and an exhaust port to keep the dust down. I'll check to see which kind we have at the club and let you know.

Just mail me the dollar bills! :P

:faint: wow those are freaking awesome :faint: the more i see the more i want all i can say is WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

i came saw drooled and collected