Is this a claw core of some kind?

Chippewa

Definitely a claw core :) Looking at where you're from and assuming you found it in the general area, I would venture to say tortoise; maybe croc, but I am no expert in the Pleistocene fauna of Florida. I am sure another and more-informed member will either validate my suspicion or correct it :) Nice find, btw!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

That's an actual claw rather than a spur - the spurs should have a flat bottom with radially oriented vascular sulci (grooves)

Sent you a pm, @Boesse :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Thanks everyone, especially Harry.  You're always helpful, which is why I actually visited your gallery yesterday in my independent efforts to ID this.  I was only able to navigate a small sampling of your gallery though - I'm sure it was operator error

I'm hoping your trouble navigating the Gallery is a unique experience . . . That is, I hope the problem disappears and is never reproduced.  I've tried to make those album entries helpful and interesting.  Please try again.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived