Sold to me as Precambrian Algae?

Toot-Toot McBumbersnazzle

Hello all, this was sold to me as a chunk of precambrian algae from a reputable dealer. However, I'm having trouble finding photos of anything similar. Is that what it really is, and if so, is there any way to know roughly what kind it is and how old it is? The precambrian era is a pretty big block of time...

The largest face of the fossil has bands of hollowed-out "combs" spaced about an inch or so apart. From the other sides, top, and bottom, it's clear that these bands go all the way through the fossil in three dimensions. There are some combs between the banding, but the large number of them in the bands is distinctive.

DSCF1568.JPG

DSCF1569.JPG

DSCF1571.JPG

DSCF1575.JPG

DSCF1577.JPG

DSCF1578.JPG

DSCF1587.JPG

DSCF1582.JPG

I smell a "thought to be" here. A reputable dealer should have provided some information on the science behind it. 

• I found this Informative 2

I've found similar things in Wisconsin, but they were Ordovician corals/sponge type things and not algae. It's possible he just got confused with the labels. 

• I found this Informative 2

Is it ironstone?  Could be a BIF (banded Iron Formation).  They are striking when cut and polished.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

It looks like a fossil, so I'll stick with coral/stromatoporid/sponge on it. It's just too regular to be simple geology. 

Precambrian fossils are infamously difficult to ID without more info. Could be anything really. 

• I found this Informative 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

I'm not seeing clearly what you're describing as 'bands'.. If you can provide better (clear-focused and not shrunk) pics of these it might help to ID it. I would certainly want to see banding in a stromatolite...

56 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm not seeing clearly what you're describing as 'bands'.. If you can provide better (clear-focused and not shrunk) pics of these it might help to ID it. I would certainly want to see banding in a stromatolite...

These are the best I could get. It's very distinct in person, and the other sides clearly show these are layered all the way through.

DSCF1613.JPG

DSCF1611.JPG

DSCF16112.jpg

Bands this large would seem unlikely. Cyanobacteria are microscopic.

In my opinion this looks more like a mechanical process. Think cone in cone or frost patterning, that sort of thing. 

For sure a fossil. I'm sticking with he probably messed up the labels. 

I guess it could be a very weathered/odd stromatolite type thing, which he could have confused as algae but it's unlikely. 

I still need to see better pics to be able to tell what I'm looking at. The pics need to be taken in sunlight, and the camera shouldn't be pushed too close if it can't focus that close.