ID? For the coral experts

Max-fossils

Hey all,

I unearthed this nice piece of fossil coral again from my collection.

I got it a long time ago, and I don't have any info on it whatsoever (no location nor age).

But I think it might be possible to put a species on this one. And with some luck (actually a lot of it), maybe we can guess where it came from and what it's age is!

Any help appreciated!

Max

Top:

IMG_8197.thumb.JPG.a21d74b368abff7152c96377d3690a3a.JPG

Bottom:

IMG_8199.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Sides:

IMG_8198.JPG

IMG_8200.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

That is a nice coral max! Unfortunetly I don't know much about them to be any help.:(

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm not a coral expert by any means, but just throwing in my (possibly inaccurate) 2 cents in here. It's kind of hard to see from the picture, but there appear to be tabulae in the cross section. If there indeed are, it's obviously a tabulate coral. If not, it's most likely a stony coral. It doesn't really remind of any tabulate coral I've ever seen, though. The general appearance resembles a stony coral to me far more.

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, darctooth said:

That is a nice coral max! Unfortunetly I don't know much about them to be any help.:(

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Hapchazzard said:

I'm not a coral expert by any means, but just throwing in my (possibly inaccurate) 2 cents in here. It's kind of hard to see from the picture, but there appear to be tabulae in the cross section. If there indeed are, it's obviously a tabulate coral. If not, it's most likely a stony coral. It doesn't really remind of any tabulate coral I've ever seen, though. The general appearance resembles a stony coral to me far more.

Thanks for the help!!! I have no clue what tabulae are, or what they look like, so I'll just listen to what you say... Let's wait till someone can confirm your statement.

Max

Max Derème

35 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks for the help!!! I have no clue what tabulae are, or what they look like, so I'll just listen to what you say... Let's wait till someone can confirm your statement.

Basically, as tabulate corals grew, the corallites(the individual polyps themselves) would advance upwards and deposit new "platforms" called tabulae on which to stand. As the coral continuously grew, new tabulae would be formed, but the old ones would stay intact inside the coral. Here's a picture that illustrates it much better than words:

coralmorph2.gif

So tabulae are horizontal walls that divided the vertical "growth chambers" into multiple segments. As I said, a quick cursory look at your coral reveals what appear to be tabulae, but it's hard for me to say definitively. Someone else with more experience should definitely offer input.

• I found this Informative 3

All I could say (as a non-expert) is that you have a water-worn "Brain Coral", a meandering scleractinian coral. If the corallites are arranged in valleys and the neighbouring valleys share ridges (walls) the coral is meandroid (as form). If the corallites from adjacent valleys don't share walls, the coral is flabello-meandroid.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 hours ago, Hapchazzard said:

Basically, as tabulate corals grew, the corallites(the individual polyps themselves) would advance upwards and deposit new "platforms" called tabulae on which to stand. As the coral continuously grew, new tabulae would be formed, but the old ones would stay intact inside the coral. Here's a picture that illustrates it much better than words:

coralmorph2.gif

So tabulae are horizontal walls that divided the vertical "growth chambers" into multiple segments. As I said, a quick cursory look at your coral reveals what appear to be tabulae, but it's hard for me to say definitively. Someone else with more experience should definitely offer input.

That is very informative!

Judging by that, I don't think it's a tabulate coral then.

Thanks,

Max

Max Derème

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

All I could say (as a non-expert) is that you have a water-worn "Brain Coral", a meandering scleractinian coral. If the corallites are arranged in valleys and the neighbouring valleys share ridges (walls) the coral is meandroid (as form). If the corallites from adjacent valleys don't share walls, the coral is flabello-meandroid.

Thanks for the help!

Max Derème

Google "brain coral" or "rose coral" (Manicina).  It is a scleractinian coral, possibly Recent.  It has none of the features that distinguish tabulate or rugosan corals.

Don

I think your coral is Manicina areolata ("Rose Coral"), the second growth form (Hemispherical). Can be confused with Meandrina meandrites (butterprint brain coral) which sometimes occurs in same habitats. - see link

IMG_8197.thumb.JPG.a21d74b368abff7152c96377d3690a3a.JPG.156fe686624aeaf45fa03ac03b4c984d.JPGhpim1020.jpg.ddbf50cc5db7693e34bf3909bd92ddc4.jpg

Colonies of M. areolata are usually not larger than 12cm, common in shallow backreef environments close to the sediment.

58a0b2ab98bb9_Manicinaareolata.thumb.jpg.2502817d113b2508f56ae50954f115a3.jpg58a0b2b10fc47_Meandrinameandrites.thumb.jpg.3fe9c76d0eab0e46df897cc3145e75fb.jpg

Thomas Suchanek. A Guide to the Identification of the Common Corals of St. Croix.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 2/12/2017 at 8:13 PM, abyssunder said:

I think your coral is Manicina areolata ("Rose Coral"), the second growth form (Hemispherical). Can be confused with Meandrina meandrites (butterprint brain coral) which sometimes occurs in same habitats. - see link

IMG_8197.thumb.JPG.a21d74b368abff7152c96377d3690a3a.JPG.156fe686624aeaf45fa03ac03b4c984d.JPGhpim1020.jpg.ddbf50cc5db7693e34bf3909bd92ddc4.jpg

Colonies of M. areolata are usually not larger than 12cm, common in shallow backreef environments close to the sediment.

58a0b2ab98bb9_Manicinaareolata.thumb.jpg.2502817d113b2508f56ae50954f115a3.jpg58a0b2b10fc47_Meandrinameandrites.thumb.jpg.3fe9c76d0eab0e46df897cc3145e75fb.jpg

Thomas Suchanek. A Guide to the Identification of the Common Corals of St. Croix.

23 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

For comparison:

manicina_A.JPG

manicina_B.JPG

Thanks both! 

Max Derème