Ramo

I have not been very frequent on here lately, so I thought I'd post a little something to let the old timers on here know I'm still around.

First let me say I'm no professional when it comes to prep.  If I found something completely crazy cool and in need of a professional I would send it there.  However cool something is to me, most of the time there are bunches of these in museums already so I don't think I am causing any dis-service to science by trying my hand a prepping these myself.  That said, I do my best, and take lots of pictures along the way.  I figure it is better prepped by myself (however poorly) than crumbling in one of my drawers of my shop. 

The following are a few pictures of a fish (Pentanogmius) my wife found two summers ago, and I finally got prepped this summer.  A large section of a chalk pyramid had collapsed, and this fish was found in the debris pile.  Much of it had already weathered away.  We picked it up in pieces and brought it home.  I prepared a box to mount it in, and set the bones in plaster.

079.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Here is a detail photo of the head and fin that sticks out in 3-D.  The parasphenoid bones are all in place, but much of the skull is missing unfortunately.

080.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here I have started removing chalk down to the bone that was set in the plaster.

081.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

More of the head and pectoral fin exposed.  The fin was tough, because it is so fragile, and sticks out from the body of the fish.

083.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here is the project with all the chalk removed with the exception of some below the fin to allow support.  What you see here is just bone and plaster pretty much.  Next step is to paint in the missing parts.

084-800.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here it is with the missing pieces added.  There is a little "Artistic license" used for the missing stuff.  I guess this could almost be listed in Paleo-reproductions!  I wish the entire fish was here, but it's not.  I feel that adding the missing parts gives this fossil the "wow-factor" it deserves. 

092.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here it is with a frame.  It makes a lot better display than the pile of broken up chalk it was found in.  I know it isn't near as good as if I had a pro fix it, but I'm happy with it. 

I used to be afraid to do much prep at all, worrying that I would destroy some priceless fossil.  Over the years, I have decided that I like fossils much better looking like this, than sitting in a drawer.

349.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

I guess I should note, that there is no paint on the bone at all.  Just PaleoBond glue to seal and protect the bones from moisture.  The addition of the glue makes the bone appear darker, and it sticks out more.  I took some plaster and chalk dust mixture and used a sponge around to fossil to give the plaster a more "chalk-like" appearance.

-Aldo Leopold

Well done, Ramo!

Looks great. 

Thanks for posting the process, here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

That is an AMAZING transformation and you have, yet again, proven yourself to be quite the "paleo-artist"!   Dave