Sharktooth Hill status update

caldigger

Just a brief update on the status of Sharktooth Hill (Ernst Quarries) in California.  I meet with member Lee Taylor from South Carolina for a dig last week to do a bit of digging for teeth since he was coming out here for work and the majority of his tooth hunting was done underwater.  The only quarry available was Slow Curve. Not much was found be either of us ( I. did get the largest I. planus that I have found there 2 1/8" ). There was another small family group digging there as well that day, six of us in all.

Due to the heavy rains we have been encountering this winter, all the roads leading to the other quarries have been washed away and Rob stated he has no plans to repair them. Instead, he stated sometime this summer, he wants to build a road that goes directly to East Quarry from the entrance, thus bypassing that long winding "trail" to the distant quarries. With plans to excavate parts of East Quarry similar to what was done to Slow Curve to establish premium areas to dig.

So to sum up this storyline, if you are planning to go to the Ernst Quarries "Sharktooth Hill area" anytime, keep in mind the other quarries are no longer available to visit and Slow Curve is the only one open. At least until something can be done to create a new road to access them.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just a brief update on the status of Sharktooth Hill (Ernst Quarries) in California.  I meet with member Lee Taylor from South Carolina for a dig last week to do a bit of digging for teeth since he was coming out here for work and the majority of his tooth hunting was done underwater.  The only quarry available was Slow Curve. Not much was found be either of us ( I. did get the largest I. planus that I have found there 2 1/8" ). There was another small family group digging there as well that day, six of us in all.

Due to the heavy rains we have been encountering this winter, all the roads leading to the other quarries have been washed away and Rob stated he has no plans to repair them. Instead, he stated sometime this summer, he wants to build a road that goes directly to East Quarry from the entrance, thus bypassing that long winding "trail" to the distant quarries. With plans to excavate parts of East Quarry similar to what was done to Slow Curve to establish premium areas to dig.

So to sum up this storyline, if you are planning to go to the Ernst Quarries "Sharktooth Hill area" anytime, keep in mind the other quarries are no longer available to visit and Slow Curve is the only one open. At least until something can be done to create a new road to access them.

Hi Caldigger,

It's weird to read that Slow Curve was so unproductive though the old "whale quarry" and the "west side" did seem to yield more teeth.  At Slow Curve you could get some nice smaller teeth with some translucence at the crown tip.  Once, I saw a nice whale tooth in matrix with a translucent tip.  It was a good site to get micro-matrix too because of that.

Wow, a 2 1/8" planus is like a 3 1/8" hastalis - a rare giant.  I have a couple of 2" planus (one I found) and one was given to me before I knew how rare it is at that size.  The largest one I've seen was about 2 1/4.

Jess

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - Has anyone been to the area since caldigger's post on Feb. 8th? We are looking to spend a day or 2 during the last week of March with our young son. Worthwhile or no? Thanks,

3 minutes ago, LindsayWilson said:

Hello - Has anyone been to the area since caldigger's post on Feb. 8th? We are looking to spend a day or 2 during the last week of March with our young son. Worthwhile or no? Thanks,

Welcome to TFF!

Have not been there since caldiggers report, but I would say it is worth the trip-- so go!

Please post a trip report if You do go.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you Tony! I will definitely post a report when we go. I've also reached out to the Buena Vista to Museum and will let you know if I get anything new from them as well. Thanks for your enthusiastic welcome and reply :)

Archived