Curiosity intrigued the cat

Flynn

Hello, I hope today finds you digging. I am a very curious cat, in our garden area, there is a wide variety of rock types. Some are beautiful river rock, we also have an abundance of seashells. Being the amature/hobbiest that I am, I am always trying to learn and look for reasons to be digging in particular areas. The area that I am in now is clay, loads and levels and layers of clay, uugghhhh. Now with that I believe I have found a couple of fossils, oncolites and a type of sponge. The pics are on here. I am wondering, in this crazy clay what do I need to look for? I find flint, quartz crystalization, obsidion, etc.  Any ideas, maybe 15 feet? Thank you ahead of time. I want a trillobite lol!

Hello Flynn,

Have you had a look at THIS WEBSITE

You won't find trilobites in clay - you need to visit shale outcroppings in your area - roadcuts, stream/river banks , construction sites - basically anywhere an outcropping of shale can be exposed.

Hope that helps. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We do have a variety of types of soil, its sandy near the south end of the property and silty below the garden where there was a decent size river at some point. I have found pieces of what look like bone in the garden where there is an odd mix of conglomerate and chert. I know im not waisting my time here, Just have to find the know how. Thank you so much Tim!

Archived