Not sure what this is.

MartianColony

I don't remember where I got this, just found it while going through an old collection.  Is is a fossil? Is it a shell? Is it artificial? I've no idea what it is. I'll put more photos in a reply post.

Thank you to all who reply! :)

20170209_134155.jpg

20170209_134159.jpg

20170209_134210.jpg

20170209_134217.jpg

20170209_134220.jpg

I don't have the name off the top of my head, but I think these may actually be clams (bivalves). 

Could they be Neogene in age ? 

Agreed. Common name worm snail. Looks modern to me. Sometimes here in the rocky California coastline you can find them all over.

Looks like it could be a remnant of a vermetid (Vermetidae family) gastropod (''worm snail"), like Serpulorbis  or similar.

Sorry that I say the same what it was said before, but the editing with the checking of resources take some time... Know I understand why sometimes I see the same thing (in a little different form) after my posts. :) I'm glad to see that is a general consensus about the ID.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree.
I would remain in the vermetid camp, considering the longitudinal ribs of the outer surface and the transverse growth segments.

Here is an example of Serpulorbis.

Btw, the genus is now Thylacodes

as shown in WoRMS (World Register of Marine Species). :)

589f52e6a2fd6_Naturalis_Biodiversity_Center_-_RMNH_MOL.177222_-_Serpulorbis_arenarius_(Linnaeus_1767)_-_Vermetidae_-_Mollusc_shell.thumb.jpeg.c3f6f5ca7231fb082a9def20bc69b861.jpeg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...