What was for dinner? Fish heads? Is this a preopercular?

GeschWhat

I'm not aware of any preopercular plates that have that kind of a 90° angle to them. :unsure: 

I'm afraid I don't know what this bone comes from.  

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I just stitched together two microscopic images so you can get a feel for the bone contours. Here is the modern fish skull I was looking at for comparison. I've thought about trying to prep out a little more of the bone, but it is so fragile. You can see where it chipped off in the center.

Marine-Coprolite-Fish-Bone-Inclusion-Niobrara-Formation-Prepped-20Xa.jpg

I sent an inquiry to one of the paleontologists at Kansas University. He thinks it could possibly be bird. I prepped out a little more of the bone and sent additional images.  He said he may need to look at it under the microscope himself. @Ramo how cool is that! I've never seen a coprolite with avian inclusions. May end up donating this one :D

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

This actually would have fit my thinking better had I stopped to think. I was thinking of the more complex skulls (fenestra) of earlier Pterosaurs.

Just getting to Pteranodon in Mark Witton's book and forgot to take into account the fact that birds were around then.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This actually would have fit my thinking better had I stopped to think. I was thinking of the more complex skulls (fenestra) of earlier Pterosaurs.

Just getting to Pteranodon in Mark Witton's book and forgot to take into account the fact that birds were around then.

Well you did a lot better than me. I never considered anything beyond fish! 

Super hard to get an ID with these tiny fragments.  Since these are from a marine environment, the odds of something other than small fish are extremely rare.  Fish bone from the Niobrara has a distinctive look, usually.  The second bone you have photographed shows this "Flaky" texture.  The first bone also looks a lot like fish to me.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I thought fish too, @Ramo! I'm not at all familiar with bird bones, so I have no point of reference. The only bird bone I have seen was from the Brule Fm., but never in a coprolite. I sent additional photos to David Burnham at KU over the weekend. So hopefully I'll hear back from him again this week. I found another interesting fish bone in one of the other coprolites and will post separately once I get around to putting the photos together.

I'm thinking it is a jaw section from a fish. Perhaps Enchodus. I do not think it is a bird. 

Here is an example of an Ichthyornis for comparison. The teeth are proportionally shorter and wider as well as slightly curved. 

Ichthy Jaw.jpg

@KansasFossilHunter do you happen to have any good photos of Enchodus skull bones? I tried to find similarities to this coprolite/cololite.  I couldn't find anything online that really showed anything (bird or fish) that matched up. I don't see the correlation between the bones in the coprolite and Ichthyornis...or was that your point?

Archived