Central Texas mineralized antler

Gordon Whittington

A number of years ago, my brother picked up a fully mineralized piece of shed antler in a gravel bar on a creek in Blanco County, Texas. A paleontology club member in Texas suggested I join the forum and post photos, in hopes someone on here can identify the species (or perhaps direct me to someone who can).
I'm extremely familiar with white-tailed and mule deer and believe it unlikely this is of that genus (Odocoileus). To me it appears to have features more like those of modern members of the "elk" genus (Cervus), given the oblong base and the position of origin of the brow tine. 
I haven't reached out to any museums or universities on this. Thanks in advance to you resident experts for your thoughts.

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

Edited by Gordon Whittington

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I'm not totally convinced this is an antler, at all. 

To me, it looks like an oddly shaped piece of limestone. :unsure: 

IMG_3557.JPG.7e901ab7fe117dc1ae9e5da3fa111cbc.JPG            IMG_3562.JPG.dac7ce132d35f213be381276aa97418d.JPG

Obviously wait for some other opinions. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Glad to be here.

I work with modern antlers for a living, so I'm confident in saying it is a shed antler. My apologies if the photos don't make that very clear.

The form is really what's throwing me off, as it doesn't have the general conformation of a whitetail of mule deer antler. Basal points and burr shape such as this aren't the norm with those species, at least not today. That's not to say it couldn't be from one of those species, but the odds of findings by a single piece AND it being so abnormally shaped seem really slim.

I'm attaching a pic with a different view, adding a modern whitetail shed from the same area for comparison. (Incidentally, the weight of both pieces is roughly equal.) Many thanks to those of you who've viewed this post and offered your thoughts. 

image.jpg

I think it appears to be an antler due to the base of the specimen.  It appears that it would attach to the skull of a mammal of the deer family due to the appearance of a burr that would attach to the pedicle of the skull of the animal.

Can you show us a close up picture of one or both of the broken ends? If it is antler it should have some spongy bone in the center. If there is no spongy bone it probably isn't an antler.

• I found this Informative 1

IMG_3599.JPG.dbaf6759221a9aef52f57d76a9d943e9.JPG          IMG_3600.JPG.91ab415c7f7ff088dabb5dcf923bee03.JPG

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Across the U.S. it's illegal to sell native venison. If you aren't a hunter and don't know one, you could look into buying exotic venison from a specialty retailer. Red and axis deer are two of the main species farmed for venison. 

35 minutes ago, crowfish said:

Off topic: is there any way to acquire venison without knowing a hunter?

Google is your friend. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, crowfish said:

Off topic: is there any way to acquire venison without knowing a hunter?

Patience, a gun and good aim! I agree this is antler, if not it should hold a record as pseudo fossil!

Did someone say axis???  While on an excursion with my kid yesterday, I got this one with one swing of my trusty hand sledge.  Long story.  Got some fossils too.

image.png

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Abnormal points certainly aren't rare, but this one arises notably close to the burr and is of virtually the same diameter at its base, as is the main beam. Both traits are well outside what we normally see with whitetails today. Also, the shape of the burr itself is extremely "out of round" for a modern whitetail, and it's a much thicker base than what's normally seen on local antlers today. I don't think whitetail is out of the question, but it doesn't have that look. I'm just trying to explore all options and really appreciate the insights y'all are providing. 

There is a little bit of porosity to the cross section, bit it extends all the way to the outside edge and does not have the consistent pattern of marrow. Also there is no "rind" of bone around the outside edge.

The thickness of the "tine" is almost equal in size to the main portion of the object.

I do not see an antler piece, just a borrow cast that has a similarity of shape to an antler.

Tony

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've bumped into quite a few Texas fossilized antler sections over the years, and made a few observations.  I think all mine are whitetail.  Color is not diagnostic; instead my keep/chuck criterion is whether or not the specimen rings glassy when tapped with a rock.  Preservation varies considerably with stream tumbling and other factors.  I've attached a few photos of some I've retained below, illustrating surface as well as section histology for your consideration.  I'm also attempting to show a spectrum of preservational characteristics that all passed my personal, albeit unscientific, scrutiny as fossils.  

The macro form of your find falls within the spectrum which my experience suggests "could" be antler and possibly fossil.  But I have no experience studying bone density/porosity in antler cross section moving outward along its length from the base.  Makes me want to run some sheds through the saw in 1 inch increments, noting bone density as a function of length along the main beam.  Obviously, stream tumbling would alter character and appearance of broken sections.

I'll end this long winded filibuster with a cop-out...I can't take a firm position on this specimen without examining it in hand.

Qt Deer Antler 1c Site 549 060411.jpg

Qt Deer Antler 1b Site 549 060411.jpg

Qt Deer Antler Site 549 060411.jpg

Qt Deer Antlers Site 372 121606.jpg

Qt Whitetail Deer Antlers Sites xxx xxx 070216.JPG

Qt Horse Femur Deer Antler Turtle Site 381 071710.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."