Fish vert from the Zandmotor

Max-fossils

Hi all,

I found this a while ago on the Zandmotor (NL) --> Pleistocene.

It's a fossil fish vert (Teleostei). Usually individual verts as those found on the Zandmotor are not identifiable by genus or species, but I thought I might give it a try.

Best regards,

Max

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi Max. Could you please explain what the " Zandmotor" is? I have heard it mentioned before but have no idea what it is. Thanks!

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

31 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Hi Max. Could you please explain what the " Zandmotor" is? I have heard it mentioned before but have no idea what it is. Thanks!

Dave

Ha alright, I will. It's very easy: it's the name of a location (just like Calvert Cliffs, Peace River, etc.). The Zandmotor actually just looks like any other beach from the Netherlands: flat, small dunes, no rocks, small waves, seashells, etc. But the Zandmotor (just like the Maasvlakte 2 and Hoek van Holland, two very similar locations) is made from sand absorbed from the North Sea and pumped onto the coast. The sand from the North Sea is very rich with Pleistocene fossils (mammoth, woolly rhino, cave lion, etc.; as well as seashells, mostly bivalves), meaning that those locations are also abundant with fossils, all ready to be picked up. The vertebrate fossils found there are dark-brown to black in color, and the fossil seashells are a dull grey-white. Artifacts can also be found. Most people go there though simply to relax, bathe in the water, or walk their dog, and do not pay any attention to the fossils on the ground. 

Attached are 2 maps: the first one representing the Netherlands. In this one I circled in red the Hollandse kust (coast of Holland), and in yellow the Zeeuwse stranden. The Hollandse kust has many fossils, and are the same as the Zandmotor; the Zeeuwse stranden (Kaloot, Cadzand, Ritthem, etc.) also have some Pleistocene mammal material, but are more known for their sharkteeth.

The second map is a zoom on the Hollandse kust. There I circled the three main hunting spots, Zandmotor, Hoek van Holland and Maasvlakte 2; those three locations all have very similar fossils, and the only differences are a slight difference in abundance of species, and the age (which differs only a tiny bit, like 20'000 years). The reason I go to the Zandmotor is because it's the location closest to my home.

Then I also added a photo I took from the Zandmotor itself. 

I hope this was a good deal of info for you to understand better what the Zandmotor exactly is!

Best regards,

Max

Untitled_Ink_LI.jpg

Untitled2_Ink_LI.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_7165.JPG

Max Derème

Hi Max ! 

Nice find !

I also found many fish vertebrae in this area ...

Your specimen could be a bony fish (Teleostei) or a cartilaginous fish ...

The bony fish vertebrae are "higher" than verts from cartilaginous fishes. So i think you could be right with your ID .... But its very difficult to identify them !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Thank-you Max! Yes you were very informative. I like to learn more about different locations .Especially those from different countries! :dinothumb:

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, belemniten said:

Hi Max ! 

Nice find !

I also found many fish vertebrae in this area ...

Your specimen could be a bony fish (Teleostei) or a cartilaginous fish ...

The bony fish vertebrae are higher that verts from cartilaginous fishes. So i think you could be right with your ID .... But its very difficult to identify them !

Alright, thanks anyways!

Max Derème

14 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thank-you Max! Yes you were very informative. I like to learn more about different locations .Especially those from different countries! :dinothumb:

Dave

You're welcome! I also love to learn about locations in different countries, it's fascinating.

Max Derème