Is this an ammonite?

Bene

IMG_0353.thumb.JPG.59bc7bd969d457356bd0f46dc7656fd4.JPG

We we found this in a pile of limestone rubble in our garden. Is it an ammonite? It seems to have a head like a worm so we are struggling to identify it. It is about the size of the palm of a hand. Any help gratefully received. 

Welcome to the Forum ! :)
It looks to be an ammonoid cephalopod.
I suppose it could be an Ammonites, but It would be good to know the location of the find. Bristol? USA or England?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for replying Abyssunder. We are in Bristol, UK. A major water pipe is being installed across our land and the work has thrown up lots of fossils. They all look similar to this one so we were just really interested to know exactly what it was. 

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I'm not sure you can get a better ID without more detailed fossil pictures to look at. 

Great to have such a treasure trove in your yard!

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for your reply, Fossildude19. This is the clearest fossil we have found - we'll keep looking and hope the giant pile of limestone throws up some more treasures. Thanks so much for your  input.