15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am completely new to everything related to fossils but my little brother is interested in paleontology (he is 9). I live in the north york area (toronto, ontario) and I'm considering looking for fossils with him(he has never went). The only river I really know of is the don valley river. It is possible for me to go right next to the water since there is a little animal-made trail there if that is of any importance. The river goes through the West Don Parkland. Overhead view of the river: 

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.760302,-79.4425897,284a,20y,62.99h,41.66t/data=!3m1!1e3

We aren't really looking for any specific fossils so I don't plan on going too far, I wouldn't go outside of toronto. Really anything will do. Where do you guys recommend we visit? Is winter a bad time to go fossil hunting? Is the area described above suitable for fossil hunting?

Well, fossil hunting during the winter can be challenging.  The ground will be solid and that would be a pain to gather any that are stuck in the ground.  I found this, not sure if you already saw it http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2398346302.  My personal opinion is to wait until the ground unfreezes.  You may find some fossils in the area you showed.  I do not know if there are any specific places to look.  Good luck!

1 person finds this informative

Hi Furious Fossil!

Welcome to TFF!

I live on the west side of the GTA, in Mississauga, so I'm not sure about the Don River out in the east, but I've had success in finding fossils along the Humber River (under the Bloor Street bridge and the Old Mill bridge) as well as along Etobicoke Creek south of the Queensway.  All of the fossils in the GTA will be marine-based and very old - between 460-440 million years old (Upper Ordovician).  I've found lots of orthoconic nautioids as well as a smattering of other fossils such as gastropods, bivavles, brachiopods, crinoids, bryozoans, corals, and trilobites.

As for when to fossil-hunt - I only just started this past summer (as a result of my 6-year-old daughter's interest in fossils), but I did manage to go out once over the Christmas holidays, and I'm not going to lie - it was cold and wet, and therefore not as fun as in the summer or the fall.  But if you intend to fossil-hunt the way I do (i.e. "flipping rocks" as my daughter likes to call it!) then a frozen ground shouldn't be a problem.

Happy hunting, and if I can help you out in any other way, then please let me know!

Monica

Hello from Finchdean U.K. Can you walk by the river?It won't be too frozen there.Bracing.We have a godmother living in Ontario,keep us posted how you do as we hoEpe to visit her soon.What a wonderful healthy hobby for you both.

Enjoy,

Yvie

I believe there's a trail beside the Don River. I've seen people jog beside it under the Bloor St. bridge over the Don River. I don't think there's any bedrock exposure at the Don and and it's mostly sand banks exposed from what I've seen. I also think that the sands belong to the Scarborough Formation which dates back to the Wisconsinan of Pleistocene. 

finding ones like this in the beaches (woodbine beach,ashbridges bay)

IMG_2208_zpskwxhnlq7.jpg

found this one at rotary park in ajax near the rivermouth recently

IMG_2206_zpskr260u8v.jpg

4 hours ago, subsonicdrone said:

finding ones like this in the beaches (woodbine beach,ashbridges bay)

IMG_2208_zpskwxhnlq7.jpg

found this one at rotary park in ajax near the rivermouth recently

IMG_2206_zpskr260u8v.jpg

Hi subsonicdrone!

I love your fossils!!!  Your first bunch of rocks contain lots of bryozoans plus some crinoid bits and perhaps also some bivalve/brachiopod shell pieces - nice!  Your second rock looks to have a trilobite hiding within the matrix - lucky you!!!  If you want it identified you should take some additional photos and post it under "Fossil ID" - there are some very knowledgeable forum members (i.e. piranha) that will probably be able to help you with that...

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

here are a couple more interesting ones i found recently

IMG_2279_zps7ivvszal.jpg

IMG_2274_zpsy87h1gwu.jpg

this type of stone has always been for skipping in my mind

cracked one in half and found this!

IMG_2311_zpsyaejpp8q.jpg

15 hours ago, subsonicdrone said:

here are a couple more interesting ones i found recently

IMG_2279_zps7ivvszal.jpg

IMG_2274_zpsy87h1gwu.jpg

this type of stone has always been for skipping in my mind

cracked one in half and found this!

IMG_2311_zpsyaejpp8q.jpg

Hi again, subsonicdrone!

Nice finds!  I see crinoid bits in the first rock (nice detail on the central disc, by the way!), an orthoconic nautiloid in the second (it looks like it's a long one!), and probably a bunch of stuff going on in the third (brachiopods and/or bivalves, crinoid bits, etc.), although I can't really be sure since the items embedded in the rock are too small for me to tell.

Thanks again for sharing!  I'm looking forward to the weather warming up so my daughter and I can go out fossil-hunting, too!

Monica

The trilobite appears to be a Flexicalymene senaria  (Conrad 1841) at least judging by the tapering pygidium structure and the number of visible segments. The cephalon might be hidden under the matrix if you decide to prep it out. 

sorry to hijack the thread

here are a few more from bluffers park in scarborough

IMG_2354_zpsfime2nld.jpg

IMG_2357_zpsvcry3thx.jpg

IMG_2359_zpsmrb57bfc.jpg

IMG_2362_zpsbxl2mpci.jpg

a few oddities

IMG_2361_zpszoohg7gy.jpg

IMG_2360_zpsdcemgaty.jpg

IMG_2358_zpsggcpaebl.jpg

this one looks like a pseudomorph to feldspar?

IMG_2352_zpsvxljx05x.jpg

Nice finds. The last one is very likely a heavily weathered rugose coral (you can see the radiating septa if you look closely).

Hi subsonicdrone!

I really like your fossils - you've found so many more corals than I've ever found in Etobicoke Creek!!!  My favourite of your current set, though, is the gastropod on the left in your third photo - nice find!

Monica

today i was working near royal york and noticed a limestone shore to the creek so i went down to take a look and found some fossils

the customer told me he had seen someone out looking in the snow! and he had found some nice fossils

apparently a big storm a couple years ago had exposed new rock and quite a few people had been back there hunting afterward

it was mimico creek according to bing maps

thanks for all the identifications!

furious fossil

if you stick closer to home

look for limestome blocks or rocks or gravels used in roads, drainage ditches, bridges etc