Verts from Khouribga: Sea Snake?

Max-fossils

Hey all,

Here are some two verts I have from Khouribga (Morocco). They both look very similar, so I have a good suspicion they are from the same species.

Any clue what species it is? I was thinking sea snake ( Palaeophis maghrebianus), but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's Paleocene or Cretaceous. Please help!

Best regards,

Max

IMG_8204.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

IMG_8205.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_8206.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_8207.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_8208.JPG

Max Derème

It looks like a snake vertebra. But why do you think it is a Sea snake. can't it be a normal snake. 

Cool vertebrae, where did you get them?

You are correct, they are sea snake vertebae. The common ones from Morocco are from the early Eocene. We know they are sea snakes and not land snakes because they are commonly found in the marine deposits of Morocco.

• I found this Informative 4

16 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

It looks like a snake vertebra. But why do you think it is a Sea snake. can't it be a normal snake. 

Cool vertebrae, where did you get them?

I said sea snake because I knew sea snake verts are rather common from Khouribga. 

I got them at the Mineralen-en-Fossielenbeurs Oss, the 20th of November 2016. They were in a small box full of things from Khouribga (fish verts, catfish spines, shark teeth, ray teeth, etc.), and they were 1 euro per piece. I even got a nice small (missing the cusps) Palaeocarcharodon for 1 euro too! Indeed a great deal.

If you're interested, maybe you'd like to go to the Fossielenbeurs Ede the 11th of March? I'm going to be there, and I'm sure you'll find some sea snake verts too!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

15 hours ago, Al Dente said:

You are correct, they are sea snake vertebae. The common ones from Morocco are from the early Eocene. We know they are sea snakes and not land snakes because they are commonly found in the marine deposits of Morocco.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation!

11 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

For comparison:

snake_vert_morocco.JPG

Thanks! But those are a little different in shape. Perhaps they are from a different position?

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

12 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Yup, nice verts, I don't have any that large!

Thanks! 

Max Derème

12 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I got them at the Mineralen-en-Fossielenbeurs Oss, the 20th of November 2016. They were in a small box full of things from Khouribga (fish verts, catfish spines, shark teeth, ray teeth, etc.), and they were 1 euro per piece. I even got a nice small (missing the cusps) Palaeocarcharodon for 1 euro too! Indeed a great deal.

If you're interested, maybe you'd like to go to the Fossielenbeurs Ede the 11th of March? I'm going to be there, and I'm sure you'll find some sea snake verts too!

Best regards,

Max

Great deal idd. I don't go to ede but I go to sint-gilles-waas, ghent and harelbeke. And who knows, maybe I find some snake vertebrates.

Greetings

Just now, gigantoraptor said:

Great deal idd. I don't go to ede but I go to sint-gilles-waas, ghent and harelbeke. And who knows, maybe I find some snake vertebrates.

Greetings

I'm sure you will! Just don't expect people to expose the verts on the stands, because they aren't worth that much. You'll most probably find them in boxes mixed with other things, like me.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

I'm sure you will! Just don't expect people to expose the verts on the stands, because they aren't worth that much. You'll most probably find them in boxes mixed with other things, like me.

Best regards,

Max

Do you know the name of the seller? And yeah, I love those boxes.

1 minute ago, gigantoraptor said:

Do you know the name of the seller? And yeah, I love those boxes.

No, I have no clue what his name was. And I don't think he will be there at any of the markets in Belgium.

The only thing that I remember was that it was an old man and his wife selling them, and that they were a bit grumpy. 

But if the markets you are going to are big, I'm sure there will be someone selling some. All you have to do is look around in all the stands, and you'll surely find someone.

Max Derème

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

No, I have no clue what his name was. And I don't think he will be there at any of the markets in Belgium.

The only thing that I remember was that it was an old man and his wife selling them, and that they were a bit grumpy. 

But if the markets you are going to are big, I'm sure there will be someone selling some. All you have to do is look around in all the stands, and you'll surely find someone.

I know somebody who might bebinnen selling them. He always have a lot of nice kem kem fossils

3 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I know somebody who might bebinnen selling them. He always have a lot of nice kem kem fossils

That's good!

BUT, Kem Kem is not the same as Khouribga! 

Good luck

Max Derème

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Checkout image G

Screenshot_20170212-053219.thumb.jpg.113755c114e09b8334bde0563519ba99.jpg

Your vertebrae

IMG_8206.thumb.JPG.0d4780c1a859c2d08d75a5a6c3382a6e.jpg.2ece066b4c69b2206e09af02a9f0a92c.jpg

Paper on Ypresian Palaeophis sea snake from Morocco 

houssaye2013.pdf

Indeed very similar!

And that paper is quite informative.

Thanks!

Max

Max Derème