Chillagoe, Australia fossils

Monica

Monica..... Emily (my granddaughter) absolutely loves her trilobite you got her she carries it around everywhere. You ask her where her trilobite is and she goes and gets it. Marianne is working on it being her next word.

59b1bbe34e273_Emillytrilo1.thumb.jpg.9f3c8065587d57dae4a31996f4b436f8.jpg

59b1bc9d037ae_Emilytrilo2.jpg.363669ecf056e3e0009bfb69277aad05.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Monica..... Emily (my granddaughter) absolutely loves her trilobite you got her she carries it around everywhere. You ask her where her trilobite is and she goes and gets it. Marianne is working on it being her next word.

59b1bbe34e273_Emillytrilo1.thumb.jpg.9f3c8065587d57dae4a31996f4b436f8.jpg

59b1bc9d037ae_Emilytrilo2.jpg.363669ecf056e3e0009bfb69277aad05.jpg

Malcolm, you just made my day!!! :D  Thanks for letting me know - I'm so glad that Emily is enjoying her plush trilobite!  Maybe this will help to get her interested in fossils at a very early age... :P

On 9/4/2017 at 8:07 PM, fifbrindacier said:

Nice Monika !:fingerscrossed:

For the second item, see if it is hollow, if so it's a belemnite.

Hi there!

The other item (the one that I thought was an orthoconic nautiloid) is not hollow inside - it's solid rock.  I'll try to get pictures of the ends by the weekend so I can post them here - perhaps we haven't fully solved the mystery after all...???

Monica

On 9/4/2017 at 8:07 PM, fifbrindacier said:

Nice Monika !:fingerscrossed:

For the second item, see if it is hollow, if so it's a belemnite.

Hello again!

I've taken a couple of pictures of the "ends" of what I think might be the phragmocone of a belemnite - please see below:

"Top": DSCN2243.JPG.726f3332b4d345bca7b4a7a83a5d81e9.JPG

"Bottom": DSCN2239.thumb.JPG.540c08f45670376fe8ebebf2aa47261f.JPG

I also took pictures of a couple of pictures from the field course during which I collected these specimens in Queensland, Australia:

Picture of us fossil-collecting (I'm wearing the purple shirt, I think) - I don't know which river/creek this was (I didn't write the name of it on the back of the photo):DSCN2235.thumb.JPG.1d8d0d79b63d3c7bd0de7641b1c9183f.JPG

Picture of us collecting fish in the Walsh River (I did write the name of the river on the back of this photo): DSCN2237.thumb.JPG.4e6057d73d28582983c3f8de49d8fcdd.JPG

So what do you think - a belemnite phragmocone?

Thanks again!

Monica

Also, I was wondering - would I be able to submit my prepped ammonite into the September Fossil of the Month contest?  I found it in May 2000, but I received it back from Malcolm on September 3, 2017 (after he finished prepping it).

@Fossildude19

Thanks!

Monica

7 minutes ago, Monica said:

Also, I was wondering - would I be able to submit my prepped ammonite into the September Fossil of the Month contest?  I found it in May 2000, but I received it back from Malcolm on September 3, 2017 (after he finished prepping it).

@Fossildude19

Thanks!

Monica

As per the rules of the contest, ... it would depend on whether the majority of the prep was done in the month of September, or not. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

As per the rules of the contest, ... it would depend on whether the majority of the prep was done in the month of September, or not. ;) 

Malcolm just told me that the majority of the prep took place in July, so I guess I'll give this one a miss.

Thanks for getting back to me, Tim!

Monica

Hi Monica.

If it's not empty, i vote for an orthocone.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 9/17/2017 at 11:50 AM, fifbrindacier said:

Hi Monica.

If it's not empty, i vote for an orthocone.

Hi Sophie!

Thanks for chiming in!  However, I no longer think it can be an orthocone because I found an ammonite in the same area, and I now believe the rocks to be Cretaceous in age, so a belemnite phragmocone is the most likely candidate.

I hope that all is well in France - take care,

Monica

Hi Monica, ok.

How are you, both of you, does your daughter still find trilobites ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

14 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi Monica, ok.

How are you, both of you, does your daughter still find trilobites ?

Hi Sophie!

Viola and I still go out to hunt together but, alas, all of the trilobites seem to be hiding from us. :P  Viola doesn't seem to mind, though - she enjoys finding other fossils, especially brachiopods and bivalves.  My right elbow has been a little sore for the past few weeks because I was trying to hammer rock that was much too hard to be hammered (some of the rock in my area is incredibly hard), so I've been resisting the urge to hammer again until my elbow feels better.  We did head out to Hungry Hollow near Arkona, Ontario earlier this month, and hopefully we'll be able to make it out there again next month - that location doesn't bother my elbow because it's all surface-collecting so I'm itching to go back - there is so much more to discover there!!!

How about you - how are things in France?  Your last fossil-hunting trip looked very productive!   How did you manage to bring all of your specimens back with you?! 

Take care,

Monica

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi Sophie!

Viola and I still go out to hunt together but, alas, all of the trilobites seem to be hiding from us. :P  Viola doesn't seem to mind, though - she enjoys finding other fossils, especially brachiopods and bivalves.  My right elbow has been a little sore for the past few weeks because I was trying to hammer rock that was much too hard to be hammered (some of the rock in my area is incredibly hard), so I've been resisting the urge to hammer again until my elbow feels better.  We did head out to Hungry Hollow near Arkona, Ontario earlier this month, and hopefully we'll be able to make it out there again next month - that location doesn't bother my elbow because it's all surface-collecting so I'm itching to go back - there is so much more to discover there!!!

How about you - how are things in France?  Your last fossil-hunting trip looked very productive!   How did you manage to bring all of your specimens back with you?! 

Take care,

Monica

Hi Monica, i'm sorry for your elbow, i know that kind of problem with my work.

I hope you'll find great things next month and i find it's a pity you couldn't put your ammonite in the competition. Maybe another time ?

My last fossil hunting trip was very productive (partly because i didn't have to use the hammer). I brought it back in may car. But i had to buy two shelving units to tidy them and the ones that will come.

In memory of Doren

14 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi Monica, i'm sorry for your elbow, i know that kind of problem with my work.

I hope you'll find great things next month and i find it's a pity you couldn't put your ammonite in the competition. Maybe another time ?

My last fossil hunting trip was very productive (partly because i didn't have to use the hammer). I brought it back in may car. But i had to buy two shelving units to tidy them and the ones that will come.

Hi again, Sophie!

What kind of work do you do?  My work doesn't cause injury to my elbow, but writing on the chalkboard now that my elbow is hurting a bit doesn't feel so great.  I suppose I could just talk to my students rather than show them with examples, but it's not easy to talk students through how to represent molecules using different diagrams... Oh well...I guess for now I'll just live with the slight pain of my "fossil elbow" (which is what my husband is calling it :P) and hope that it fully heals sooner rather than later!

Re: me not being able to put my ammonite in for Fossil of the Month - that's okay, because I found a pretty little spiny brachiopod the last time I visited Hungry Hollow, and I've entered that little guy into the contest, so we'll see how that does...

I'm glad that you had a recent productive fossil-hunting adventure!  And it indeed sounds like it was productive, since you had to set up two more shelving units!!!  Wow - I'm definitely :envy: for both the number of fossils you've found, as well as the fact that you have space in your house for two more shelving units!!!

Monica

Thanks @Monica, i'm a nurse helper, so i often have to help people to turn on the side, sit or ly down, to move them with stretchers or in their beds.

In memory of Doren