Bugglz

Fossil sites worth visiting in NZ

3 posts in this topic

I'm heading across the ditch for a holiday in April and was hoping to spend a couple of days checking out some fossil sites. Anyone got any suggestions? Would love to find some ammonites and trilobites, also any bone fragments. 

Hello,

My understanding of the law in NZ is that it is illegal to remove any fossils from the island, so it appears you will have to add anything you find to your photographic collection. ;) 

LINK

"The illegal export, or attempted illegal export, of a protected New Zealand object could result in the object being forfeit to the Crown, a fine of up to $100,000 ($200.000 for a body corporate) or up to 5 years imprisonment."

Regards,

On 16 February 2017 at 4:07 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Hello,

My understanding of the law in NZ is that it is illegal to remove any fossils from the island, so it appears you will have to add anything you find to your photographic collection. ;) 

LINK

"The illegal export, or attempted illegal export, of a protected New Zealand object could result in the object being forfeit to the Crown, a fine of up to $100,000 ($200.000 for a body corporate) or up to 5 years imprisonment."

Regards,

You can export fossils with a permit, which can be applied for.